• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suckling Pig - How long does the skin stay crispy?

alycemoy

So I ordered a roast suckling pig from a Chinese deli for this weekend.

I plan on picking it up at noon, but people aren't coming over until 4pm.

will the pig and more importantly it's skin stay fresh until then?

Last year, I had ordered a pig rather than a piglet and we had it covered for hours before we started eating it and the skin stayed crisp, but since suckling pig skin is a bit more delicate, I'm not sure how it will behave.

Any advice? And if the skin does get a little chewy, would sticking it in the oven crisp it up at all?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

When my family buys suckling pig, we pick it up around 11am and tuck into it 4 or 5 hours later, the crunch is definitely still there so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Best not to reheat as hot skin is never as crispy as cold skin. If your pig is still warm when you buy it don't cover it, the steam will spoil your crackling a little.