• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pressure Cookers: 2011 and beyond

Chris Amirault

Haven't posted anything in a good long while, so figured I would say how much I like my Fissler Vitaquick.  I still see lots of well known cooking personalities reflexively recommend the Kuhn Rikon, which I think is based upon its extensive use and endorsement in the Modernist Cuisine books -- which are now decade old information.  I think though that if you compare the construction and functionality of the current KR to the current Fissler, it's not a hard choice between the two, and the Fissler is very obviously superior.  I certainly enjoy using Fissler more than the KR, which seems flimsy and clunky in comparison, for about the same price.

going back to the topic of fissler valve pressure from years ago...

despite being told that US models aren't being sold anymore (see a few posts back), i received a 10L vitavit premium directly from fissler usa's online shop with US stamped on the lid (handle is removed in this pic):

1741290009_FisslerUSAlidstamp.jpg.a5e6df55a76f2c11eb862074b9bfbe38.jpg

i'm guessing 2919 is a date code, but i don't know how to interpret it. perhaps day 291 of 2019?

the GB/EU manual says:

1546357530_FisslerEUmanual75kPa.png.0f0142366a0ffb17b9f20aedd32a1117.png

Setting 1: 45 kPa, 110°C (6.67 psi, 230°F)

Setting 2: 75 kPa, 116°C (10.9 psi, 241°F)

Overpressure limit not stated

on a european parts shop, i found a picture of the underside of the main "traffic light" control valve:

1320566219_FisslerEUcontrolvalve75kPa.png.dfa80405de6a2ad07ee8156ff278b1dc.png

if you look very carefully, you can see it's stamped 75 kPa which references "Setting 2".

the printed USA manual that came with my cooker says:

140233635_FisslerUSAmanual50kPa.jpg.b1defe87b33e2e18c13d4a9db1eb0b30.jpg

Setting 1: 35 kPa, 108°C (6.67 psi, 226°F)

Setting 2: 50 kPa, 111°C (7.25 psi, 233°F)

Overpressure limit: 100 kPa (14.5 psi)

curiously, the underside of my control valve is stamped 60 kPa:

1627676102_FisslerUSAcontrolvalve60kPa.jpg.a3700be74bcd47c48b383e7ec5668810.jpg

this suggests that my valve's high setting is probably:

Setting 2: 60 kPa, 113°C (8.70 psi, 236°F)

which disagrees with the manual provided.

maybe someone will find this interesting.

ok, and now for the million dollar question: should i actually care that my shiny new pressure cooker only goes to 60 kPa / 8.7 psi (or if the manual is correct, 50 kPa / 7.25 psi)? does food really take that much longer to cook? conversely, could the lower temperature actually be a good thing (degrades delicate volatiles less)?

i guess i could always order a spare 75 kPa valve from europe if i really want.

Edited by jaw (log)

• 2 years later...

Huh. My control valve says it’s 115kPa - see attached photo. Slightly different SKU, too. This is from an 8.5qt Vitavit (2019 model) ordered from fisslerusa.com in Jan. 2022. The control valve seems slightly askew - the front edge of the red just barely shows when I hit overpressure.

I tried contacting Fissler US customer support via email about pressure back when I bought the PC but never got a reply. I figured worst case scenario the Cooks’ Illustrated intern (or staffer) who had tested the Vitaquick hadn’t read its manual carefully and ran it like I used to run my 8qt Fagor (which I had to get rid of when I couldn’t get a new gasket for it): heated to a gentle vent at 15kPa. In a year of light use it’s done a fine job.

I think this week I’ll try half a pound of soaked garbanzos as recommended above in this thread. My prediction is they’ll be fully cooked in 13 minutes. (Among other things, a larger cooker takes longer to come up to pressure, so beans cooked 13 minutes at pressure in an 8.5L will cook more than in a 6L or smaller.)

Fissler now sell both my control valve and a slightly different one for the 2020- models for $10 less. The SKU on the website matches my instruction booklet but not the SKU in these photos - maybe the latter is part of the control valve?

IMG_9285.jpeg

4 hours ago, tcdo said:

Huh. My control valve says it’s 115kPa - see attached photo. Slightly different SKU, too. This is from an 8.5qt Vitavit (2019 model) ordered from fisslerusa.com in Jan. 2022. The control valve seems slightly askew - the front edge of the red just barely shows when I hit overpressure.

I tried contacting Fissler US customer support via email about pressure back when I bought the PC but never got a reply. I figured worst case scenario the Cooks’ Illustrated intern (or staffer) who had tested the Vitaquick hadn’t read its manual carefully and ran it like I used to run my 8qt Fagor (which I had to get rid of when I couldn’t get a new gasket for it): heated to a gentle vent at 15kPa. In a year of light use it’s done a fine job.

I think this week I’ll try half a pound of soaked garbanzos as recommended above in this thread. My prediction is they’ll be fully cooked in 13 minutes. (Among other things, a larger cooker takes longer to come up to pressure, so beans cooked 13 minutes at pressure in an 8.5L will cook more than in a 6L or smaller.)

Fissler now sell both my control valve and a slightly different one for the 2020- models for $10 less. The SKU on the website matches my instruction booklet but not the SKU in these photos - maybe the latter is part of the control valve?

IMG_9285.jpeg

Mine says 60, which would be 8.7 PSI.  Not sure what to believe.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Last night I cooked up a mess of Rancho Gordo Mayocoba beans.  My poor Fissler was audibly venting more steam than I expected, which is why I took the valve apart to clean it, and to run the lid through the dishwasher.  When I visited the Fissler USA site just now I saw only one applicable valve.  I would love to get a higher pressure replacement.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou