• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recipe Challenge 2011

nakji

2010 Recipe Challenge topic

From last year's topic:

Here’s the proposal:

We all have a list of recipes in our heads, book-marked or written somewhere that we want to try but just never get around to actually making. Choose 5 recipes for any course, any cuisine that you have never attempted before but want to try. Name your 5 recipes with their sources (links where feasible) and then report as and when you actually make the dish(es). No need to do anything complicated unless that’s what you want. Just recipes that you keep meaning to try but can never quite assemble all the ingredients for or can never find the time or occasion to push you to commit. You have a whole year to fit these 5 recipes into your life but if you complete your 5 recipes in the first month of the year then re-commit to 5 more. Let’s have some fun and share successes and failures, some photos if we can and perhaps some recipes (respecting copyright rules, of course). You can double your money by using some or all of the ingredients you might have listed in this topic.

Right, I've got fourteen recipes bookmarked on my EatYourBooks bookshelf, including:

From Revolutionary Chinese cookbook by Fuchsia Dunlop:

Changsha cold-tossed noodles

Spiced pork noodles

Yueyang hot-dry noodles

From Beyond the Great Wall, by Duguid and Alford

Tibetan ginger-tomato chutney

Laghman sauce for noodles

Chicken and noodles, Tuvan style

Hui tomato-lamb noodle soup

Sticky rice and sausage

Hmm, a lot of noodles there.

What has everyone else got tabbed, marked, highlighted or folded over?

I probably have never eaten, or maybe even heard of, half the dishes which will become challenges this year. In the meantime I have:

- my own chorizo

- Capirotada, traditional style

- brioche sticky buns

- croissants

- spun sugar

- wontons

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Ok, I'm going to chime in here again, just like I did at the beginning of last year's post, to see if I can inspire anyone to join me in what has been a tremendously rewarding venture... Rather than commit to making specific recipes, for the past three years, I committed myself to making at least one new-to-me recipe every week. I track them in a little journal, and this year I made 84 new recipes! Looking back over my list, there are recipes that are total house favorites now, and I can't believe I made them for the first time last February... I can't say enough about how much doing this has expanded my repertoire and my skills... Just some food for thought :-)

Emily