• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanbang Herbs in Korean Cuisine

I thought that you would be the perfect person to other enquire about Hanbang herbs which are used in Korean cuisine. I am afraid other than siberian ginseng/korean ginseng, milk vetch and jujube, very little of the many varities of herbs are mentioned anywhere.

Some years back, I watched a late night Korean food and entertainment program (from MBC) on the local food channel which featured the dish, 'Dak Doritang' and the chef included siberian ginseng, milk vetch and a bark like herb into the chicken broth. I never managed to figure what the herb was since the English subtitles referred to it as birch bark which is not a herb. Managed to track down the VOD but can't access it,

http://www.imbc.com/broad/tv/ent/delicious/vod/index.html?kind=image&progCode=1000826100176100000&pagesize=5&pagenum=33&cornerFlag=1&ContentTypeID=1

Nonetheless I had the opportunity to view the following program available from a Hong Kong cable channel TVB8, which I think featured the same bark like herb I am looking for.

리얼미식기행 the Chef

http://www.qchannel.co.kr/thechef/main.asp

The VOD has been taken off now but it's available for free for those located in the US & Canada (which excludes me) at

http://www.dramafever.com/drama/1785/1/The_Chef/

I can't remember which episode, it may be either the 3 episodes on the Jiri Mountain or on the Midland National Highway. Nonetheless, in one of these episodes where the 3 chefs went to the mountains, they had free range chicken soup which was cooked with that hanbang herb I am looking for. Based on the substitles (which are often not accurate) I think it's either the bark of the Alder tree or bark of the Omija tree.

I seek the assistance of korean speaking members on the forum to confirm this. My thanks and appreciation in advance.

Please provide better links or information about what you are asking for. You need to find the actual video and do a screen shot of it or find the Korean name of the herb. The name of the video and minute/seconds would also be OK. I can't search through an hour and a half of videos searching for an herb being mentioned.

Birch can be used as an herb (It might be considered a spice if dried, but lets not quibble). Sweet birch Betula lenta is/was used as a source of wintergreen oil in North America. There are likely Asian counterparts. If you've heard of birch beer - that's what it's flavored with (a type of root beer really).

If I could see the herb, maybe I could ID it. I'm a botanist and foodie.