• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hanging out in Ft Worth and thereabouts

joiei

I will be judging BBQ at the Bedford Blues and BBQ event on Sunday. Any suggestions for treats for the tastebuds on Friday and Saturday? B,L, & D, I am open, i have a car and am somewhat familiar with the area. Have not been there for a year and am looking for new. I would prefer to stay on the Ft Worth side of the airport. I intend to try to get to the Kendall on Saturday afternoon for the Maya exhibit. Price wise, not a big deal, I love a good taco truck and have fond memories of splendid dinners at Lanny's. If Tei-An was in Ft Worth then I would be there for at least one meal. No BBQ because I will be getting to indulge in a 24 course tasting of some fine bbq at the event on Sunday. In terms of breakfast, someplace out of the ordinary, not really into diners anymore, am about burned out on those. Someplace with extraordinary pastries and good coffee would be nice.

If you have never been a KCBS bbq judge I highly recommend that you check it out. It really is a 24 course tasting menu of all bbq by the time you finish. And you get to take some home, Bonus!!!!.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Richard, got a name and a location?

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Found it! This is about one mile off 121 in a strip center on the right, perpendicular to the street. Small sign so you'll have to watch carefully for it. They are open Friday and Saturday (and I think Sunday), but closed Monday and Tuesday.

You may have to reassure the woman who owns the place that you are an adventurous eater and will not be upset if you do not care for this type of food. It took me a couple of visits for her to relax and not feel she had to push the safe chicken dish on me. Nice woman, though.

She told me once that she named the cafe Filipiniana in order to make it clear that it's an ethnic restaurant and to discourage others from eating there, for fear people will have a hard time with the Philippine ingredients and flavors. There's only one other Philippine restaurant in the DFW area as far as I know, and it's in Garland.

Filipiniana Bake Shop & Cafe

209 Bedford Rd Ste 120

Bedford, TX 76022

(817) 282-0655

If you go, let us know what you think.

Ended up going to Everything German for lunch. A nice change of pace. Dinner last night was at Chef Point Cafe in Watauga.