• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Ode To Many A Restaurant Web Site

Holly Moore

I was just quizzing a few people about restaurant art/design needs, and "website" was top of the list...because without one, you might pop in for lunch as you walk by, but you won't be arranging an office party or lunch with old friend there. That's even more true now that many workplaces absolutely forbid personal phonecalls during daytime working hours.

What people wanted was information and possibly a way to book online.

It can also be a reason that the owners doesn't want to invest too much on their own website which maybe some of them doesn't really understand what a good and helpful website packed with information about their services can do to their sales. Or maybe some of them are not really into the internet thing. Some of them may also just created facebook pages where they can save money because it is free.

How hard is it to have an address and phone number easy to find, not have sections "coming soon" for months, and realize that not a single person in the universe wants music to start playing when they just want to see a menu?

Maybe the owner or the one responsible for the website doesn't really know what he/she is doing to the site so he/she might just accepted what the designers or developers suggested to do. (sometimes designers/developers can be just stupid to put up a music on a website homepage) And maybe they think that putting up a music will attract visitors to the website which I find very annoying for a website. Just my 2 cents.