• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Induction cooktop with stainless steel bottomed pots

nextguy

I am hoping an induction cooktop veteran can answer a simple question for me. I just purchased a two burner induction cooktop and own several Allclad pots and pans that work perfectly on this cooktop. I also have a couple of old Cuisinart pots and pans that are made of aluminum except for the bottoms that have a thick stainless steel plate attached. They work on the cooktop but my question is whether the Cuisinarts heat slower or lower due to the fact that they are not entirely SS. I don't think that it matters that the sides are aluminum but since the bottom is stainless on the outside but aluminum on the inside can this cause a problem?

Thanks!

Would it not also be a factor of the quality of the 'magnetic' properties of the stainless bottom. I have been told to try a magnet on pan bottoms and the pans to which the magnet adheres more tighly will produce better results. My opinion is not scientific, but from how I select what to use.

"A cloud o' dust! Could be most anything. Even a whirling dervish.

That, gentlemen, is the whirlingest dervish of them all." - The Professionals by Richard Brooks

• 4 months later...

That is correct. All-Clad uses ferritic stainless on the outside layer of their SS utensils, which is compatible with induction heaters. I subconsciously assumed that the Cuisinart had the same, though if the OP hasn't returned then I suppose they do.