• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grand Sichuan - Times Square Version

weinoo

At a dinner for 6 the other night, we were all pretty disappointed.

Nothing as good as at the late, lamented 9th avenue location, uptown version. Respectable dan dan noodles, wan dumplings, dumbing down of the spicy (it is Times Square, after all) and an over-reliance on sweet and cornstarch really turned me off.

Becco, practically across the street, would be a much better choice.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

BTW, someone from Chowhound reports that the former manager of the old Hell's Kitchen branch of Grand Sichuan (9th Ave and 50th) has moved on from the St Marks location of Grand Sichuan to open up his own spot, Great Sichuan (with a very similar menu) on 3rd and 27th. It's very possible that he hired the old HK GS chefs as well.

If I'm in Times Square, I'd rather go to Szechuan Gourmet in any case. Have you tried Lan Sheng?

"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure