• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

mousse stabilizer

QbanCrackr

i was searching the web yesterday, and came across this product--http://www.pastrychef.com/MOUSSE-STABILIZER_p_781.html--instructions state to use 1000g whipped cream, 200g stabilizer and 350g fruit puree (stabilizer into puree, and fold into cream). has anyone used something like this before? i've had trouble with fruit mousses that i could make pipeable into molds/cakes and i can't get anything that is stable enough to keep its shape while keeping a good fruit flavor.

i'm really interested in trying this product out...any thoughts?

-d

Danny

I have used a product like this, but I don't remember the company it was from (been a while). I worked in a small patisserie, and made strawberry mousse cakes. It was the same method, and they came out very stable. The owner had me mix a little red currant puree with the strawberry to up the flavor. Only other thing I can remember is having to work quickly when mixing.

That may not help much, but I remember it working well.

i used one called alaska express, it called for something like 150g stabilizer to 750g whipped cream...only thing was i didn't like that they only told me i could use their flavor pastes which weren't super good in my opinion :(

Danny

That sounds like a crazy amount of stabilizer ... most stabilizers are used at well under 1% by weight.

I assume it's just some blend of hydrocolloids that prevent weeping (aka synerisis, if you want to get poetic).

i tried that a little while back, but i'm still playing with fruit mousses...i heard 1 sheet of gelatin would stabilize 100g puree + 100g whipped cream...did that a couple of times but flavor wasn't strong...if i do 1% of total weight in gelatin would that stabilize it even if i add more puree?

my main thing is the syneresis...i want to be able to keep mousse refrigerated without it crying itself to death

Danny

I'm just looking quickly at my notes ...

Gelatin, I believe, is subject to synerisis, so it may not be the ideal stabilizer.

Here's a list of some colloids that prevent synerisis and their typical concentrations:

-iota carageenan (0.2 to 1.5%)

-high acyl gellan (0.03 to 2.6%)

-combination of agar and locust bean gum (0.1 to 0.2% lcb / 0.1 - 3% agar)

Notes from the underbelly

I'm not familiar with that product but, since the recipe calls for just cream, puree and stabilizer, I'm guessing a large part of the stabilizer weight is some form of sugar. Also, since there's no cooking or pre-hydrating involved, I'd guess that it's some form of modified starch... which usually is used in higher ratios than most other types of stabilizers.

Edit: checked the link and it appears to be a pre-hydrated gelling agent rather than a modified starch but I'm still guessing some form of sugar is a large part of the overall volume.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

"Alaska Express" is a stabilizer plus flavouring agents. Your call.

I'm not one much for exprimenting with guar, caragen, agar-agar and locust beans gums, but they are commonly used in many food products. Natural, yes, Refined, definately. Many S.E asian desserts are based on agar-agar.

With my 1 leaf gelatine-100 grams puree-100 grams whipped cream I've never had any problems with weeping. I've frozen cast mousses, and thawed them with no bad effects. However, not soaking gelatine long enough will result on the mousse going on a "diet"--that is, the mousse will start to shrink in the middle after a day or two, giving the item an "hourglass" type figure....

Adding cocoa butter or white chocolate to the mix will have a "strengthening effect", as does butter, and if you want to boost your flavour, take away some of the whipped cream and substitute with more puree. By playing with flavour combinations, you can also boost the flavour, ie. adding a bit of raspberry puree to strawbery will boost the strawberry flavour, fresh gragted citrus zest does wonders, a bit of espresso with chocolate flavours, and booze-eau de vies, and other spirits also do a lot to boost flavours.

Certain fresh foods like kiwi, figs, and pineapple will kill the gelatin--it just won't set. If you wnat to use the fruits they must be cooked first.

However, not soaking gelatine long enough will result on the mousse going on a "diet"--that is, the mousse will start to shrink in the middle after a day or two, giving the item an "hourglass" type figure....

How long is the rule of thumb for soaking sheet gelatin? Also, what kind of gelatin are you using? silver? gold? Are those all the same blooms within manufacturers? (obviously silver and gold aren't, but silver a vs silver b)

By playing with flavour combinations, you can also boost the flavour, ie. adding a bit of raspberry puree to strawbery will boost the strawberry flavour

If you go 100g puree 100g cream, could you go 120g puree 80g cream to maintain the 200g but still having the gelatin keep it with the same stability? My flavors weren't strong enough going with the 100g/100g mix.

Danny

How long to soak?

About 10 mins--ice cold water, when you take it out it should be as flacid as wet cling film.

Remember NEVER to heat the gelatine over the boiling point of water, or it'll draw threads (get stringy) and loose a lot of it's power.

Yup, it's exctly what I mean, as long s the wieght neve goes over 200 gr total for 1 leaf, you're fine. It won't be as delicate as with all-whip cream, but good never-the-less.

I usually use "gold" I believe all gold/gold, sheets are the same bloom strength but some mnfctrs cut smaller sheets. Silver is a bit weaker bloom strenght

BTW the "diamond" pattern you see on the sheets comes from the fresh wet sheets being dried on a fine-line type of net/drying screen at the factory