• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

• product-image-quickten.png.a40203b506711f7664fc62024e54a584.pngDid you know that these all-volunteer forums are operated by the 501(c)3 not-for-profit Society for Culinary Arts & Letters? This holiday season, consider a tax-deductible Quick Ten Bucks to support the eG Forums and help us remain completely advertising-free. Thanks to all those who have donated so far!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tiramisu

calamari

10 posts in this topic

HI recently I ate calamari at busaba eathai a thai reasturant here in london. I have never eaten such tender and delicious calamari ever. we ate 3 bowls of it !! would anyone have a recipe to replicate this dish.. pls pls pls.. am dreaming of it.. it just too deeeeeeeeeelicious

Thanks

Can you give us a few more details on the dish? Calamari (squid) is generally thought to be tender after a minute or two (depending on size) and then after a very long simmer. The in-between phase is the quite chewy one. If the dish was Thai I suspect it was very briefly cooked and if larger squid was used it was most likely scored.

The best thing to do is go back to the restaurant and ask them for the recipe. And then share it here.

Edited by ojisan (log)

Monterey Bay area

You have not been the only person trying to determine this recipe. See the below link for other info including the "chef's verbal description on how to make the dish."

Link regarding dish

Now I want to try it.

Hope that works out.

Kay

Edited by heidih fix link (log)

Here is a different, but also brilliant recipe. I've made it many times and it has always been a huge success.

Edited by ChrisZ (log)

trust me when I say I HAVE TRIED to ask the chef but he wont spill.. :(

yes the squid was scored and it had peppercorns and a batter and a slightly sweet dark sauce( possibly sweet soya sauce) and it seemed to have be coated with and it had something crunchy as well. ok now my mouth is watering already.lol

Thank for for the recipe will definately try it

Did you try the recipe and was it similar to the one you had in the restaurant?

Kay

I believe that Busaba's menu was designed/consulted by David Thompson (of Thai Food fame) - so perhaps check his Street food books?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0