• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DIY Cooking Projects

BadRabbit

Over the last few weeks I've engaged in a number or build it yourself cookng projects. I've built Seattle Food Geek's Immersion Circulator and Alton Brown's Flower Pot smoker.

The IC works flawlessly and I'm thinking of changing the design a little to make it more flexible to use with other devices.

The flower pot smoker I am still trying to fine tune. It takes a long time to heat up and it won't reach much above 225F. IT also has some hot spots which seem to cook with direct heat instead of the ambient heat cooking you want with a smoker. I need to find a grate that will sit higher in the pot to fix the heat problem and maybe find a smaller lid to increase the heating efficiency (I'm currently using an azalea pot as the lid).

Has anyone else had any luck with the smoker? Any other tips?

I've really enjoyed building these items. Are there any other DIY projects I should try?

edit: TYPOS always TYPOS

Edited by BadRabbit (log)