• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Science of Miso Marinade?

Jeremiah Levy

So I got a random text message from my chef today that reads "Try to look some science about miso marinade process and print out for us"...I thought about it from the view of miso marinaded fish(salmon especially) and keep telling myself in my head that because of miso's high salt content it would pretty much make asian gravalax if left on the fish too long but can someone give me a Idea of where to look for information like this? I have been reading Molecular Gastronomy by Herve Theis(sp?) and I am almost certain the book will cover this in some way but I have not found the chapter yet.

tl;dr What does Miso marinating a product do to it on the molecular level?

Thank you in advance!

• 11 months later...

I just had a steak marinated in miso and sake that was unbelievable. It wasn't a tender cut either if I recall correctly. I too would be interested in the ratios etc of the marinade process.