• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Problem with Panasonic Microwave

ElsieD

I have a Panasonic microwave/convection oven, model number NN-C980W in case someone out there has the same one. When I was cleaning it today, I noticed a silvery substance on the dish cloth. Closer inspection revealed that the cover of what appears to be where the microwaves come out is broken. That is, there is a hole in it. This is on the right side of the microwave, beside and behind the light. I don't know how to describe it any better than that. (The instruction manual contains a picture of the microwaves coming out of that spot.) Does anyone know if the microwave is still safe to use? I called Panasonic and they are closed for the day. I will try them again tomorrow, but in the meantime, if anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you.

Edited by ElsieD (log)

I have a similar Panasonic microwave, the S943. Does yours have the "Inverter" designation/advertising slogan? The energy outlet port has a resin-saturated paper covering. Considering microwaves I've had in the past, I would first suspect the fan blade is defective. Where did you pick up the substance, all over the oven interior or just on the turntable? Whatever the source, if it didn't come from something you put in there it indicates a problem with the oven. Be sure to contact Panasonic, and perhaps see if the CPSC has any recent info about it.

Ray