• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Potato Water Challah

Miriam Kresh

Potato Water Challah

Serves 10 as Side.

2 medium-sized loaves

This potato-based bread stays has excellent flavor and a just-moist-enough, fine crumb that stays fresh for days.

• 1-1/2 c warm cooking water from boiling potatoes
  • 1 pkg fresh yeast
  • 1/4 c olive oil
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 c sugar
  • 1 T salt
  • 5 c AP flour
  • 1 egg for gilding the loaves
  • 1 T poppy or sesame seeds

1. Dissolve the yeast in the warm potato water. It won't hurt if some potato residue from cooking slips into the water; just make sure there are no big chunks. Of if there are, mash them up well with a fork.

2. Mix in the olive oil and the eggs.

3. Add the sugar. Use the smaller amount for an off-sweet challah; the greater if you like yours sweet.

4. Mix in some flour, about 2 cups.

5. Add the salt.

6. Slowly add the rest of the flour as you mix and knead, till a slightly sticky dough is obtained. I don't want the traditional flexible dough, I want it just a little tacky. Knead 10 minutes.

7. Dust your work surface with flour and sit your dough on it for 10 minutes or so, while you wash and dry the mixing bowl and do something else.

8. After the dough has rested the 10 or 15 minutes, knead it again for a few minutes, covering your hands with flour if necessary, to keep it manageable.

9. Drop some olive oil into your washed and dried mixing bowl; place your dough into it and turn it over a few times to coat it with oil.

10. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm place for an hour.

11. I've started folding and stretching the dough rather than re-kneading at this point; it works well. So either knock the dough back and re-knead briefly, or fold and stretch it as I do.

12. Cut the dough into 2 parts. Make your two braided loaves, handling the dough as lightly as possible.

13. Allow the loaves to rise 1/2 hour. Meantime, have the oven pre-heating to 350 F, 180 C.

14. Beat up the 3rd egg and gild the loaves with it. Sprinkle with poppy or sesame seeds, or both.

15. Bake for 30 minutes, then turn the baking tray around in the oven and bake a further 15 minutes. Turn the loaves upside down and continue baking for 10 minutes - if the bottoms are underbaked.

The timing will vary, with your oven and your particular circs. The main thing of course is to have the loaves baked through, rich and golden brown, all over. So keep your eye on the bread as it bakes and take notes for the next time.

Remove from the oven immediately and cook the loaves on a rack.

Keywords: Kosher, Intermediate, Bread, Jewish

( RG1930 )

Miriam Kresh

blog:[blog=www.israelikitchen.com][/blog]