• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bread and Butter Pudding

Bread and Butter Pudding

This is one of my favourite desserts. I love it served with the caramel sauce. It can be made with any of your favourite breads including Chocolate.

Bread And Butter Pudding With Caramel Sauce

5 or 6 slices of bread

1/2 cup butter

1 to 1 1/2 cups sugar

5 eggs

2 cups cream (Or milk)

vanilla

pinch of salt

Caramel Sauce

1 cup butter

1 cup sugar

1 cup brown sugar

1 cup cream

pinch of salt

2 teaspoons vanilla

NOTE: If you prefer the pudding to have more custard, then use less bread so that all of the custard is not absorbed into the bread when baked.

Cut crusts from bread and spread each slice with butter. (Bread slices

can be left whole, or cut into halves, quarters or cubes.

Place bread buttered side up in a oven proof dish. (may use any shape

dish, or glass loaf pan, cutting bread to fit)

Beat the sugar and eggs together and then add the cream, vanilla and salt.

Pour over bread and allow the bread to absorb. (may be refrigerated

at this point and baked later)

Sprinkle with some white sugar and place dish into a pan of hot water

and bake in a 350 oven for 45 to 1 hour, or until pudding is set and

golden.

To make caramel sauce,

Bring butter, sugars, cream and salt to a boil and then simmer for 3 or 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add the vanilla.

Custard sauce for Chocolate Bread and butter Pudding.

2 cups cream or milk (I use coffee cream)

3 tablespoons flour

1/2 cup white sugar

1 egg

pinch salt

Heat cream. Mix flour, sugar and salt and mix into beaten egg. When milk is hot, slow pour into the egg mixture stirring constantly. Pour the mixture back into the pot and cook over low heat until thickened. Remove from the heat and add the vanilla.

Custard should be pouring consistency.

Keywords: Dessert, Pudding

( RG1759 )

• Similar Content

• By amyneill
      Hi all!! 
      I work at an amazing little New Zealand Style ice cream shop in the beautiful Denver Colorado. I was hoping to get a little help on the subject of adding fruit into ice cream after extracting it and ensuring that, when the ice cream is frozen, the fruity bits don't turn into rock hard shards. I am planning on doing a cherry chocolate ice cream and I was going to soak some dried cherries that we're no longer using for something else. I was planning on using some brandy and a ton of sugar, but I was really hoping someone had a tried and true method they could send my way so that I KNOW that the fruit will be luscious as it's frozen. If you have a certain sugar ratio. I know there is the brix test, but to be honest it's been many years since pastry school and I am very rusty. Would love to hear from some of my fellow sugar-heads. 
      Thank you!
      Amy

• By shain
      ~175g matzo (5 matzo), broken into rough pieces 2 large leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly slices 4-5 scallions, chopped 5 eggs 250g milk 150g kashkaval cheese (or similar), grated 100g feta, crumbled 1 tbsp lemon juice, or a little vinegar 1/2 tsp baking powder A pinch of MSG (skip it if you avoid it) Plenty of black pepper Chili pepper, to taste Salt to taste (depends on the saltiness of the cheese, apx 1 tsp)  

The mixture can be made a day ahead. Place broken matzo in a large bowl. Heat the milk and pour over the matzo. This allowes for faster soaking, don't bother heating it if your making the mixture a day ahead. - Meanwhile, saute the leek until very tender. Mix into the matzo. - Make sure the matzo are not hot before mixing in the eggs and other ingredients. Pour into a well battered casserole dish. Lightly flatten. Bake in 200 C for 30-40 minutes, until nicely browned. Brush/top with butter mid-way baking for added crispness. -  I find the dish to taste better, and be more crisp, once reheated. If you wish to, let it chill for at least 30 minutes or overnight before baking it again just until hot and crisp.  

• By Susanwusan
      Has anyone else got food-related pet peeves?  I've just been annoyed again by somebody on telly saying dulchy de leche, instead of dulthey or dulsey.  And then there's the same problem with "choritso"! 😣
    • By shain
      This style of kugel is called "Jerusalem kugel".
      Egg noodles in caramel, cinnamon, ginger, plenty of black pepper. Baked, in a low oven all night long in order to give it this signature brown color and flavor.
      Traditionally made on Friday night and served on Saturday morning. The kugel is best served warm as a warming wintery breakfast, but it can also be served at room temp during warmer months.

Most kugels are cooked with no dairy for kosher reasons, but I much prefer the taste of butter. Sub it with natural oil if desired.
      Raisins can be added if you like. 
      Feeds 8 as a hearty breakfast or much more as a first/last course.
      It's usually made much larger, and you can scale the recipe both up and down with no adjustments.
      400g good quality dry egg noodles or dry egg pasta. I prefer thin noodles, slightly thinner the spaghetti (~3mm). 50g cold butter, cut into pieces 4 eggs 1 teaspoon salt 1 teaspoon cinnamon 1 flat teaspoon dry ginger, or a full teaspoon if you like more ginger flavor 2 to 3 teaspoons black pepper, ground finely (make sure to use freshly ground pepper) 1 tablespoon milk, cream or water 50g walnuts, roughly chopped 200-250g white sugar (I use about 225g, preferring my kugel not too sweet. you can use up to 300g for a really sweet kugel)
        Pick a somewhat narrow and tall pot that can just hold the cooked noodles/pasta. A cake pan can be used instead, as long as it can be tightly sealed.
        Make sure to slice the butter and keep it cool. Heat oven to 200 degC. Mix together eggs, milk (or cream/water) salt, spices and almonds. Keep refrigerated. Cook noodles in slightly salted water until almost al-dente, drain well. You can cook the pasta in the pot used later for baking. Meanwhile, in a good, wide pan, cook sugar to very dark caramel. I prefer the dry caramel method, but do use wet method if you like it better. When very dark, immediately remove from heat and add butter to cool the caramel and stop it from burning. Add cooked noodles and mix well to coat in caramel. If caramel starts to harden, place pot on medium heat and push the chunks to the bottom until they melt. Let the noodles chill slightly then add egg and nuts mixture. Mix until well combined. if your pot or pan used for baking is not non-stick, then grease it. Pour noodles into pot or pan and slightly flatten the top to look even. If you see any nuts poking above, push them down slightly so that they don't burn. Tightly cover the pot or pan with aluminium foil to keep moisture inside. Cover with a lid and place in hot oven for about 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 100 degC (210 degF) and bake overnight, about 10 hours. To serve, remove foil and invert kugel on a tray. Serve with pickled cucumbers (not everyone likes this combination, but try). Leftovers can be chilled and reheated later (microwave or oven both works, the later might dry it too much if you are not careful). You can also pan fry leftover slices.  

• By Shel_B
      I've been working on this one for a while, and went through three different cocoa powders and three different chocolates.  I settled on Peet's Dutch processed cocoa because it is good quality, not too expensive, and easy to come by.   Peet's has been discontinued and now I'm using Cacao Barry Extra Brute.  Valrhona 71% chocolate from the 3.5-oz bars worked best for me, although the 85% was good, too, but I wanted a less "bitter" taste and didn't want to use more sugar to sweeten or soften the flavor.  If you like a more intense chocolate taste, the 85% will work, and you may not need more sugar.  I weighed the chocolate and found that three squares of the bar equals 1.25-oz.  Using more chocolate may result in a slightly thicker pudding, and therefore less cornstarch may be advisable.

I prefer to use 2% milk for this, but whole milk will be fine if that's your preference.  My goal was to come up with a nice, rich flavor but keep the fat and sugar down as much as possible.  1% milk is not recommended, but it will work, sort of ...

1 teaspoon of espresso powder will be fine, but I preferred a little more kick in this pudding.  I used Medaglia D'oro because it is easy to come by, not too expensive, and it seems to work just fine.  I tried another brand at one point and, frankly, couldn't tell the difference. ETA 0n 7/19/2016:  I now use Trader Joe's 100% Colombian Instant Coffee.  It's less expensive than Medaglia D'oro and I prefer the flavor both in this pudding and for other uses. 

Let me know how you like it ...

Shel’s Simple Old Fashioned Low Fat Chocolate Pudding

2 cups low fat (2%) milk - whole milk is OK
      2 Tbs cornstarch
      3 Tbs sugar
      ¼ tsp Diamond Crystal kosher salt
      2 Tbs good quality Dutch process cocoa
      (1.25-oz 71% Valrhona Chocolate, chopped in small pieces)
      1.5 tsp vanilla extract
      2 tsp instant espresso powder

Heat 2 cups milk in microwave for about two - three minutes depending on power level. Pour ½ cup milk into a small bowl and add the cornstarch, sugar, salt, espresso powder, and cocoa, and stir until well mixed.

Put the remaining 1½ cups milk into a non-reactive saucepan, add the cocoa-milk mixture and the chopped chocolate, and heat on medium stirring frequently, almost constantly, until chocolate is dissolved and the mixture thickens. It should get to be almost lava-like, with an ocassional bursting bubble.

Remove from heat and let cool for a few minutes, then add the vanilla extract and stir to incorporate well.

Pour into an appropriately sized bowl, or two to four serving dishes, let cool further, and then cover and refrigerate.

If you don't like a skin on your pudding, cover the pudding with plastic wrap or parchment paper cut to fit the bowl before covering and refrigerating.

Before serving, stir or whisk the pudding.