• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ollie Gates' Barbecue Sauce

MarketStEl

Ollie Gates' Barbecue Sauce

This recipe, which produces the very same Gates' Barbecue Sauce that you can get at their six locations in Kansas City, most KC-area supermarkets, and from their Web site, was featured on an episode of "From Martha's Kitchen" on the Food Network about four years ago. Since the program no longer airs on FN, and I know there are others out there who would like to try their own hand at creating that Gates' taste, I'm posting it here, because you can't find it on foodnetwork.com any more.

• 1 c sugar
  • 1/4 c salt
  • 2 T celery seed
  • 2 T ground cumin
  • 2 T ground cayenne pepper
  • 2 T garlic powder
  • 1 T chili powder
  • 2 qt ketchup
  • 2 c apple cider vinegar
  • 1-1/2 tsp liquid smoke
  • 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

In a small bowl, combine sugar, salt, celery seed, cumin, red pepper, garlic powder, and chili powder. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine ketchup, vinegar, liquid smoke, and lemon juice. Add dry ingredients and mix until very well blended. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Sauce may be stored in an airtight container in refrigerator for up to 3 weeks or in freezer for up to 6 months.

Yield: about 3 quarts

Keywords: Easy, Sauce, Barbeque, Hot and Spicy

( RG1689 )

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3