• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Karen's Chocolate Chunk Coffee Cake

ruthcooks

Karen's Chocolate Chunk Coffee Cake

Serves 16.

My daughter found this recipe on a box or bag of something. Choc full of chocolate and nuts, this coffee cake is difficult to cut because it's so lumpy. We usually serve it for brunch with creamed eggs, link sausages and juice. Leftovers are good warmed in the microwave, and may double as dessert.

I have started using Bakewell Cream instead of baking powder for better taste. In that case, I use 2 t. Bakewell Cream plus 1 1/2 t. soda.

Topping:

• 12 oz chopped semi-sweet or bittersweet chocolate, or packaged chips or chunks
  • 1/2 c broken or chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
  • 2/3 c sugar

Cake:

• 2-1/2 c AP flour
  • 2-1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 3/4 c softened unsalted butter
  • 1-1/4 c sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1-1/2 c sour cream
  • 2 tsp vanilla

Have all ingredients at room temperature.

Combine topping ingredients in small bowl and reserve.

Spoon and sweep flour (4 oz. to the cup) and combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside.

Cream butter and sugar in bowl of electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, sour cream and vanilla until well mixed. Add flour mixture beating at low speed until smooth.

Butter or spray a Bundt pan or tube pan. Add 1/3 of the batter in an even layer and sprinkle with about 1/3 of topping mixture. Repeat with another 1/3 of the batter and topping. Repeat with final 1/3 of batter and topping.

Bake about an hour at 350 degrees, or until a toothpick or wooden skewer comes out clean. Cool about 20 minutes before removing from pan. If your pan is copper, lower the heat to 325 degrees.

Keywords: Chocolate, Bread, Easy, Breakfast, Brunch

( RG1532 )

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali