• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sawdust Sugar Cookies -- Cut Outs or Circles

claire797

Sawdust Sugar Cookies -- Cut Outs or Circles

Despite their unfortunate name, these cut-out cookies are delicious. They have a crisp, ethereal texture that borders on sandie. This recipe, which seems to turn up in ladies' auxillary and church cookbooks, usually calls for margarine. In fact, I've seen recipes saying "Use margarine for best results" which is why I usually make them with margarine. I made them with butter once, but don't remember them as being any better made with the butter. The dough is softer than a lot of cut-out doughs, so I work with small sections at a time and keep what I'm not working with in the refrigerator. Another trick is to put the soft dough in a zipper bag, roll it out into a circle in the bag, freeze the dough circe (bag and all), then cut away the bag and punch out frozen dough shapes. As you work with the frozen dough, it will soften up.

• 1 c oil
  • 1 c margarine or butter
  • 1 c granulated sugar
  • 1 c powdered sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 3 T vanilla
  • 5 c flour
  • 1 Tbls. cream of tartar
  • 1 Tbls. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt

Cream together oil, margarine, and both sugars. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Combine all dry ingredients in separate bowl. Gradually add to sugar mixture. Form 1 inch balls and roll in a bowl of granulated sugar. Flatten cookies with the bottom of a glass dipped in sugar.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes.

To make cut outs, chill dough, roll it out, freeze it and punch from frozen dough.

Keywords: Cookie

( RG1472 )