• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mexican Burnt Milk Candy (Leche Quemada)

fifi

Mexican Burnt Milk Candy (Leche Quemada)

There are many variations of this candy. Some add nuts just before pouring into the pan. Pecans are typical. I have also seen it with coconut stirred in. This particular recipe is really pretty easy if you have any candy experience whatsoever. The long cooking time is necessary to "toast" the milk solids. It really isn't a problem since it doesn't require much attention. You just stir it occasionally. Do not try to substitute margarine for the butter. You won't get the added milk solids.

• 3 c sugar
  • 1 c brown sugar
  • 1/2 c butter
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 can water

Mix all together in a heavy pot. Cook over medium low heat for about 4 hours, stirring occasionally. Start watching it at about 3 1/2 hours. Bring the temperature up to 240F or to the soft ball stage. Remove from the heat and cool to 110F. Beat vigorously with a spoon until it begins to smooth out a bit. This is hard. I have been successful using a Bamix, a fairly powerful stick blender. Turn out into a buttered 8 x 8 inch pan. Allow to cool completely. Cut into squares.

About the pot: My optimum pot is an 8 quart heavy Calphalon stock pot in that it is deep enough to hold the foaming stage and is heavy enough to prevent any scorching. Be sure to use a big enough pot as it will "boil up" at first. Don't do as snowangel did and use a 3 quart pot and got a spill over that took her a long time to clean up.

There will be ample leftovers in the pot for the cook to snitch to "honor" the pot.

Note: How dark the candy is will depend upon how long you "toast" the milk solids. Also, I have found that the "graininess" of the final product varies batch to batch. This is entirely consistent with what I have eaten over the years. You should have something of a sugar crunch on first bite that then dissolves in the mouth. This is a "rustic" candy, not meant to have the smooth creaminess of a well made fudge.

Keywords: Candy, Intermediate, Mexican

( RG790 )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose