• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serious game Pate

jackal10

Serious game Pate

Inspired by Michel Guerard's Chicken Liver Pate recipe.

You can replace the game by cubes of pork belly,toungue, or by chicken...

Serve with an onion puree, cornichons, good bread

Marinade

• 7 T Brandy or Armagnac
  • 3 T Port
  • 3 T Sherry
  • 2 tsp peeled and crushed garlic
  • 20 g parsley, chopped
  • 1 tsp fresh thyme (or half tsp dried)
  • 1 pinch nutmeg
  • 1 ground black pepper
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp sugar

Pate

• 350 g Chicken livers (frozen are OK)
  • 200 g Cooked game or other meat
  • 350 g Sausage meat (I used Venison Sausage), fairly fatty.
  • 4 Sprigs of Thyme
  • 4 Bay leaves

Mix everything together, except the bay leaves and sprigs of thyme and marinate in the fridge overnight.

Arrange the bay leaves and sprigs of thyme artistically on the bottom of a loaf tin, or omit - they are decorative only.

Remove the biggest bits of game (or other meat). Coarsely puree the rest depending how fine you want the pate. You can, according to taste, have it from unpureed in lumps (e.g as a pate filling), to a fine texture. I think fairly roughly blended with a stick blender works best for me.

Tip half into the loaf tin and spread it out. Arrange the reserved game or meat. Cover with the remaining puree.

Pre-heat oven to hot: 220C/425F. Put the terrine into a bain-marie (baking tin filled with boiling water) in the oven, uncovered for 1 3/4 hours (105 mins). The top will be nicely browned.

When you take the terrine out of the oven, weight it (another loaf tin filled with water), then keep overnight in the fridge. Turn out and slice

Keywords: Appetizer, Intermediate, Game

( RG728 )