• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Chocolate Challah

Comfort Me

Chocolate Chocolate Challah

Serves 10 as Dessert.

This recipe, adapted from Joan Nathan’s The Foods of Israel Today, is richer than its predicessor and has a deeper chocolate flavor. Eat it warm from the oven or, for a special treat, toasted with some tart plum preserves. The fruit brings out the chocolate flavor everyone loves! French toast made with any leftovers is a religious experience!

• 2/3 c sugar
  • 2 c lukewarm water
  • 5 T butter, at room temperature
  • 2 large egg yolks
  • 2 T SAF instant yeast
  • 1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 7 c all purpose flour (approx.) plus more for dusting work surface
  • 1 T salt
  • 12 oz (approximately 2 cups) bittersweet chocolate, cut into ½” chunks, or extra-
  • large chocolate chips (see ingredients note)

1. Combine sugar, water, butter, and egg yolks in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on medium speed until the sugar is dissolved and the butter dispersed. Change to the dough hook attachment.

2. Add the yeast and cocoa powder and 3 cups of the flour and mix on a low speed until incorporated. Add the salt, allow time for it to be incorporated, then add an additional three cups flour. Using the power setting recommended by the manufacturer for kneading dough, knead for 5 minutes or until the dough is smooth and elastic. Add more flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until you have a dough which is moist but not sticky.

3. Reduce the mixer speed and add the chocolate. After a minute, increase speed to the higher setting for kneading and knead the dough for three or four minutes, until the chocolate is evenly distributed throughout the dough.

4. Turn the dough into a large bowl which has been coated with vegetable oil. Turn the dough to ensure the surface is coated in oil to prevent formation of a crust. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise until doubled in bulk – approximately 1½ to 2 hours.

5. Punch down the dough and turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Divide the dough into six equal pieces and allow to rest, covered with plastic wrap, on the floured surface to allow the dough time to relax – approximately 15 minutes.

6. Roll each piece of dough into a “snake” approximately 14 inches long. Working with three pieces at a time, Pinch the ends together, braid, then secure the other three ends together by pinching. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet, tucking the pinched ends underneath to ensure an attractive loaf.. Repeat with the remaining dough. Cover with a damp towel and allow to rise until doubled, approximately 1 hour.

7. While the braided loaves are rising, preheat the oven to 375° and place a metal pan (such as an old pie pan) on the floor of the oven. When ready to bake, place the loves on an upper shelf and add boiling water to the pan on the oven floor, taking care not to be burned by the steam. Close the door quickly to capture the steam. Bake for 20 minutes at 375°, then reduce the heat to 350° and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

Ingredient Note: I buy my chocolate from Blommer’s Chocolate. www.blommerstore.com . I use the chocolate chunks, which for some reason aren’t on the website. But they are only 6 blocks from my office, so it is easy for me to swing by the factory.

They can be contacted by e-mail at chocolate@blommerstore.com or by phone at 312.492.1336. Their chocolates are kosher-certified – both dairy and parve.

Keywords: Kosher, Chocolate, Bread, Jewish, Chocolate

( RG963 )

Aidan

"Ess! Ess! It's a mitzvah!"