• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Scotch Raisin Bread

fifi

Scotch Raisin Bread

My Daddy made this recipe every Christmas for as long as I remember. That makes sense because my sister remembers him making it in 1946. She was 7 years old and found it amazing that Daddy was cooking. That was the year I was born in October. He got out of the Navy after WWII in February. (Do the math. I am a Californian by conception.) The original recipe is a clipping from a newspaper taped into the inside cover of Mom’s Woman’s Home Companion general cookbook that I think she got when they were married in the 30s. As I grew up, I was tasked with cutting out the paper for lining the pans. I have a sneaking suspicion that Daddy made me reinvent the way to do this every year so that my geometrical skills would get a work out. He didn’t keep a pattern and I think that was deliberate. He used brown paper from grocery bags. My sister and I make several batches every holiday season as a tribute to Daddy, we even have his pans, and we give the loaves to family and friends. I still have to cut out the paper. But, we use parchment paper now and I keep a pattern. I think Daddy approves.

• 2 eggs
  • 1 c sugar
  • 2 c buttermilk
  • 2/3 c molasses
  • 3 c sifted flour
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1-1/2 c rolled oats, uncooked (get the regular type, not quick)
  • 1/2 c chopped nutmeats (Dad used walnuts or pecans)
  • 1-1/2 c raisins

Beat eggs until light, add sugar gradually and beat well. Add buttermilk and molasses and blend well.

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and soda and combine with rolled oats, nutmeats and raisins. Add to egg mixture stirring only enough to combine.

Grease two 1 pound loaf pans. Line with brown paper and grease the inside of the paper. Divide the dough into the two pans.

Bake at 350F for one hour or until done when tested with a toothpick.

Store at room temperature for at least one day before slicing and serving. Serve with marmalade, jelly or cream cheese. Also great toasted with butter.

Keywords: Dessert, Intermediate, Bread

( RG789 )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose