• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Microwave Fudge

fifi

Microwave Fudge

I am not a candy maker and even I can do this. I have had folks that don’t like fudge all that much develop a sudden addiction. This is probably the only thing I use a microwave for besides thawing stuff and making popcorn. The microwave doesn't really save time very much. You will see that it gets a little tedious for a few minutes. However, there is something about the way the microwave heats the ingredients that makes this work. I have tried it on the top of the stove and it just isn't the same.

• 2 c miniature marshmallows
  • 2-3/4 c semi-sweet Ghirardelli chocolate chips (buy 2 bags)
  • 1 can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1-1/2 tsp vanilla
  • dash of salt
  • 1 c chopped nuts (optional)

In a large glass bowl, pour in the marshmallows. Put the chocolate chips on top of the marshmallows. Pour on the sweetened condensed milk. (It seems to melt better when stacked up like this.)

Microwave on 50% power for about a minute at a time, stirring between each minute, until all is melted and blended. This will take about 7 to 10 minutes total depending upon your microwave. (Hint: When I used a silicone spatula, the goo didn’t seem to stick to it as badly.)

Stir in vanilla, salt and nuts. Pour into an 8” x 8” pan that is lined with wax paper. Don’t fuss with any cut and fit business with the wax paper. Just put an oversized piece of wax paper on the pan, plop the mass in the middle, and spread the fudge out. You can garnish the surface with nuts, coconut or whatever at this point by pressing into the surface. Let it sit in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or until firm. Cut into squares.

Keywords: Chocolate, Candy, Easy

( RG363 )

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose