• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

SOUPE A L'OIGNON GRATINEE (French Onion Soup)

Louisa Chu

SOUPE A L'OIGNON GRATINEE (French Onion Soup)

Serves 4 as Soup.

I only really like my own French onion soup. I find the American version - what you find in the States or what you find in French restaurants that cater to tourists - too salty and too cheesy. And the French version too weak. Water's not authentic - but then again French chefs believe beef bouillon cubes are acceptable.

Soup

• 400 g Onions
  • 80 g Butter
  • 10 g Flour
  • 150 ml White Wine
  • 1-1/2 l Beef Bouillion (Broth) or Consomme or Chicken Stock
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 50 ml Madiera or Port wine, Optional (deglaze)

Garnish

• 20 Slices of Baguette, day old and thinly sliced
  • 150 g Gruyere cheese, grated

Melt butter, add onions, sear well then caramelize well. Sift flour over, mix well. Deglaze with wine, add Madeira or Port. Add stock. Salt and pepper well. Cook low to taste. Dry baguette in low oven as needed. Ladle soup to ovenproof bowls - clean as needed - place croutons over, cover with cheese, bake to golden. Carefully serve immediately.

Keywords: Soup, Cheese, Main Dish, Vegetables, Intermediate, Beef, French

( RG218 )