• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Liver quality

Kent Wang

I recently bought some chicken livers from the farmers market and it tasted great: sweet, hardly any bitterness. Today I bought chicken livers from Chinatown and they were wretched: bitter, with an array of unusual off-flavors. I threw them away.

Do livers vary so much in quality? It would make sense to me considering the function of the liver in the body.

Where do most restaurants get the livers for chicken liver mousse or pate? Do they have to seek out special chicken? I've certainly never had a chicken liver dish at a restaurant that tasted like the Chinatown livers.

Don't know what's up with your Chinatown chicken livers, maybe they were old and/or poorly stored. The Chinatown I once lived near in Toronto had some great items and others that were total rubbish.

If I could only buy one organic grocery item, it would be liver for the reasons you alluded to -- it's the major detox organ of the animal's body.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

Did you buy raw or cooked livers? If you're prepping raw chicken livers, you have to make sure there isn't any gallbladder left attached to them. Gallbladder will give a bitter or off taste to the liver.

Er. Huge soggy mess doesn't sound good. On a whole liver, it's easy to see anything that shouldn't be there. We go through a lot of chicken livers (for chopped liver) and they rarely have any gallbladder left on them, but every once in a while they do. If you don't remove it, it can ruin the whole dish.