• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Catering, School or...

Tom Gengo

In my most recent employment I was a VP w/ one of the largest mortgage companies in the US. As such, I was at ground zero when the economic earthquake began and have really taken it on the chin. In some depraved way I see it as a positive since I am looking at what I really want to do w/ my life when I grow up, lol. I am 47. For background, I have a BS in Biology w/ Honors from Union College in Schenctady, NY and was a Graduate Fellow at the Medical College of VA doing cancer research about 25 years ago. Subsequently I moved into the business world and have been pretty happy.

My family, friends, and basically anyone that knows me thinks that I should go into a culinary career and I am agreeable with that move. I made a decision that I would somehow find the money to go to the Italian Culinary Academy, sister school of of the French Culinary Inst. I spent a semester in college studying in Firenze and WAS fluent in Italian. My approach was to follow the Napoleon Hill (Think & Grow Rich) approach and everything will work out. Then I was thrown a curveball.

I have been approached by dear friend that is well connected here in Charleston, SC about coming up w/ a business plan to venture into the cooking field. He is very supportive and encouraging of my desires and said, "with the right business plan I can find you all the investors needed." His son has shown an interest in cooking (college aged) and there was some discussion about coaching/mentoring. I would not mind that.

His point and I have thought the same, is that if I can get an operation up and running, then I can later do the school thing. Money is a huge issue right now (dealing w/ serious financial issues, unemployed, etc.)

I think catering/cooking classes/personnal chef is the direction to go. I have catered several parties and 2 wedding receptions (buffet) so I know what I am approaching. Also, I have about 6 mos experience in prep at a caterer and prior HS job working dish/prep/cooking. Looked at getting a job for experience, but experienced cooks in the 10-11 per hour range is not possible financially.

So, with that said (there is more, but need feedback on the important points:

1. Assuming money is not an issue (hahaha), how did you get started in your culinary career? Business?

2. There are many talented caterers here in Chas, SC and I need a niche. Please share innovative, culinary operation in your area.

3. I have much experience w/ marketing from the mortgage industry, never advertised and managed a "referral only" business. Most of my business was in the Million and up homes. How did you build your business?

4. What are your thoughts on education? I know that it would be ideal to go culinary school first and then start 40K later. Emphasis on 40K :wacko:

5. What mistakes have you made or seen others make that should be avoided at the outset?

6. If you have experiences w/ investors, please share your insights. Contracts, agreements, pitfalls, etc.

Thank you so much for your professional contributions to my dream here. It is a totally new venture and "it takes a village to raise an idiot." or something like that statement from our Secretary of State.

PS. The avatar is not my cat, it is a lime on the kitten's head and I do not look like anything like a cat, although he is a "Tom Cat" lol.

Edited by Tom Gengo (log)

Tom Gengo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tom.

I was 45 when I started cooking professionally, and knew that working in someone else's hotel or restaurant kitchen was not for me. I do, however, work in other people's kitchens quite often, as a personal chef.

There will be various rules & regulations set out by the Health Department in your region, which may determine what direction you take for your new venture. One of the benefits, for me, of opening a PC business was that I would not need to maintain a commercial kitchen. At my late start, the last thing I want is to invest a lot of money in operational expenses.

Best to you with what is down the road.

Karen Dar Woon

Firstly, I suggest you go to a used food equipment dealer and have a look around---not to buy anything, but to see a few things. What you see is equipment bought at 3 or 4 cents on the dollar and sold at usually a minimum of a 150% mark up. The remnents of the last guy's hopes and dreams. Very sobering effect.

Business is dependant on sales, and you have the marketing experience, good. What you sell, and how much you want to sell is limited by your production capability--how good a cook you are, or how good a cook you can hire. You can learn on the job, but education is expensive......

You can learn on the job with another employer, which I strongly suggest you do before even thinking about starting up your own business. However there's a big caveat here: It is the employer's mandate to make money, what you see and learn on the job might not be correct, things might be done incorrectly for a variety of reasons: Inadequate equipment, lack of proper training, etc..

You can go to a culinary school---not a big-name fancy-pants chool, but a Community college, which I also strongly suggest you do. Again a big caveat here: It is the school's mandate to teach the curriculum, but not neccesarily to teach how to move about in the kitchen, how to organize and plan, or how to run a profitable kitchen.

You can hire a Chef, but you will have to anticipate his needs, and estimate his production capabilities--very hard to do without being his/her shoes for a while first. I have worked with several employers with no previous restaurant experience. Some, I admit embarased, I took full advantage of their ignorance and ordered equipment and supplies I did not need. Others insisted I could produce $500,000 worth of food per month with just one dishwasher and limited, pathetic equipment.

If you wish to enter the world of hospitality business, you need the education. Which ever format, or combination of formats you choose, it will be expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Karen & Edward,

Thank you so much for your invaluable comments. I treasure the input from someone who has ''walked the walk.'' Best of luck in all of your ventures.

Tom Gengo