• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The future of the wine world and realtime TN's &

Don Giovanni

The future of the wine world and :unsure: realtime TN's & purchasing

The below e-mail was sent to some people ITB to help with the vision...

... Date:5/7/2009 2:21:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time

The way I see Wine 2.0 being replaced by Wine 3.0 thing from a different vantage point

.if publications don't merge with Web 3.0 in real time they will see diminishing returns over time, lose power and become irrelevant...we are at the Cross-Roads of web transformation and making real money monetization of the web like it was never done before...it is only through synergies and joint ventures that this will happen...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Please understand I am looking in from the outside and am giving you my perspective. You do have permission to share this info to better the wine world only.

As you know the traditional publications (being done by the top critics) went from print to websites linked to BB's with an interfacing of a library of official critic TN scores and BB members notes provided. Good, but not nearly enough connectivity with the consumer or reader. You and your competitors have the archived collective real-time notes as the wine develops from its original score. From a wines original professional score it goes through what I am calling the ‘Cycle Of Flavors ’ or the COF some of the vast data formats like yours gives the consumer up to date TN's that you provide via your site. One function of the site should be to total the majority of the scores of a wine, omit the extremes and come up with an average score. The average score could be broken down by time, I.E. show me the average score from Feb 2007 until present, etc. Your real time TN scores will become the true floating score of a wine, just like a stock quote. Your index will be called Cellar Tracker or XYZ index identifying your Co. then looking up the wine will be a comparison to all the info from real professional critics who also have the original scores posted. So Parker and XYX, etc would have their own index symbol. You will no longer have a fixed score done X years ago by XYZ set in stone you will have a rolling score of the COF index unique to each database. As long as you have a unified union to control the index and to issue Symbols for future competitors.

I can see POS for retail / internet with real time average ratings from the indexes and then display the most common collective current TN descriptions notes. One simple way is to have the wine barcode as most are and bring the bottle over to a scanner or vice versa and via real time get the review. On the web it would be a click away...with the advent of personal web conduits one could do this real time anywhere via the device. The more tracking companies interface and setup their unique indexes the better it works. This way you control your proprietary rating function, specific to your website and software code. A common platform must be built to combine all this information so it is interface friendly as symbols are given out. The unique symbol needs to be clear enough to express the depth of the data base of the trackers symbol, thus each symbol will have more creditability as your industry consolidates. For example Cellar Tracker symbol CT, etc.

The current system we have now does have the original baseline TN' and score from the critic at that specific moment in time when the wine was tasted and then it was published. So a score became locked in time, until another review if any by the critic. Now with all this real time TN's from as many tasters, obviously the accuracy increases with the collective view in real time.

What I am seeing is social networks take traffic away from the traditional BB's ...twitter is an example of the free flow of TN's in real time…Twitter has taken away a lot of BB traffic, because it’s real time and interactive.... unless the current BB’s or any business does not communicate with the consumer they will miss real time trends.

Web sites with large wine TN's by the collective have not utilized this potential BB's or communities. The old way has functioned very efficiently until something called collective real time TN bogging started to be posted on web sites like your or others. This is what I am seeing as the development of Web 3.0 takes money from traditional publications, web sites and monetization of the reviews, etc. translating to sales due to the new paradigm.

Now what and why are bloggers important? Bloggers are people without any ideal of what they are blogging about half the time. Most like xxx xxxxxxx sponge off of everyone who will give him free wine…he tries to write from his perspective, well it’s nothing more than the opinion of a child…I have humiliated him as he can’t tell one AVA from another nor even wines, this is a problem…so a blogger pretending to be a wine critic is a problem…people believe what they read…it’s a fact…sad but true…bloggers should not be deemed critics only one voice in the collective…they must be held to the same standards as true critics…right now most bloggers take money from whom ever then can for various reasons… XXXX XXXXXXXX is a perfect example of blogging gone very wrong…

How to handle small bloggers don’t give them a voice or over weight them over Joe/ Jane The Wine Drinker in the index, or create a common blogger index a copulation of the top 100 with a large data base of TN’s and scores the average must be posted in the form of an index symbol CT or RP, etc…they attack the big critics for publicity so they can garner traffic get paid per click, view…it’s all about frustrated people who really want to be wine-makers, or real professional critics…

In the end the cream will rise to the top of the blogging world…we should not leave them alone or discourage there blogging, only we should know how to weight their opinions into the collective…

John, what's your take on the matter? Do you share the disdain for wine bloggers?

I love good bloggers who look for the good in a wine...I hate bloggers or critics who dog a wine out without having a base-line...Bloggers who get pay to play are FTC done for they must disclose...

I am a winemaker-video-blogger-blogger, etc...so no I don't hate bloggers or I would hate myself...I don't like moochers... that's all or to heavily weight on a critic or blogger who get their wine for free... :cool: