• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Curry Cheese Steak

Suvir Saran

See how smart I am?

For if I gave the recipe, you all would sing my praises for a week, maybe even 3 months..and then never think of me again.

actually, if you just gave us the stupid recipe, you'd be a lot less annoying. :wacko::raz:

Why? Do you really want to try it? If you promise me Tommy that you will cook with the recipe.. And bring me a leftover sample at the Diwan dinner.. I shall post the recipe... The ball is now in your court. :wink:

Waiting for your answer Tommy!  :wacko:  :raz:

my interest in reading and studying recipes does not always extend to implementing the recipe. to that end, i can't make any promises regarding bringing you leftovers, but i can say with confidence that i'd appreciate reviewing the methods and ingredients.

It is a highly evolved recipe... If you or another promise to make it and give me a taste.. I shall write it...

I hope that is fair...

It is easy to make... just involved... You could make it easily Tommy...  :smile:

it's also easy to promise: i promise.

now cough it up.

Idle promise or gentlemans agreement. Like the one made in full honor by Hamilton and Burr?

I will deliver kind Sir... Already writing and testing recipe... For I knew if it was not you making the promise, someone else would have... But it is yours to have if you promise to prepare and give me a taste.

Tommy, are you going to bring steak for everyone at Diwan or just for Suvir?  I am sorry now that I'm missing out.  :laugh:

Lets see if Tommy will keep his promise. :wink:

PS: I will share with as many as I can. I eat very little steak.. But I love every little bite I have.

INDIAN CURRY STEAK

For the Indian Steak

Fresh Indian cheese (see link in post below)

1/2 teaspoon all purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon sooji (instant cream of wheat)

Cooking Curry

3/4 cup sugar

6 cups water

6 green cardamom pods

2 bay leaves

Soaking Curry

4 cups water

3/4 cup sugar

6 green cardamom pods

1/4 teaspoon rose water

Cream Sauce

4 cups half and half

6 green cardamom pods

1 tablespoon sugar

2 tablespoon pistachios, ground into a flour

1/2 teaspoon saffron strands, toasted gently and ground into a powder

Garnish

1/4 cup toasted coarsely crushed raw pistachios, candied and broken into pieces

1. Drain the Indian cheese completely. Make sure there is as little moisture in the cheese as possible. Knead the cheese for 5 minutes or more to loosen it up. Sprinkle the flour and sooji over the cheese and mix well to incorporate it into the entire cheese evenly (5 minutes). Let the cheese rest for 20 minutes.

2. To prepare the cooking curry, bring the water to boil with the sugar and spices. Use a 12-inch diameter pan with a heavy base. Boil for 4 minutes and then reduce heat to keep warm.

3. Divide the cheese into portions that you can shape into steaks. Remember smaller portions will be easier to handle and will not break as they cook. Make the patties as smooth as you can, for the cracks will be exaggerated after they are cooked.

4. Bring to a high boil the heat in the cooking curry. When it is at a steady simmer, place the patties on a spatula and insert into the curry. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. The patties (steak) will expand in this duration.

5. Prepare the soaking curry by bringing the water, sugar, and cardamom pods to boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Keep warm.

6. When the patties are cooked, remove with a slotted spatula, very carefully and place in the soaking curry. Let cool, cover and refrigerate overnight or upto a week.

7. Lightly butter all sides of a heavy bottom saucepan. Use a wide pan, as that will cook the milk quicker. Add the half and half and cardamom and bring to a boil. Cook until foaming subsides. Reduce till the milk takes the consistency of heavy cream, close to 20-30 minutes. Stir the milk often. Scrape the sides and bottom to incorporate any and all milk solids that accumulate. Any skin that may form on the milk should be incorporated back into the custard.

8. Add the sugar, the pistachio flour and cook for a minute. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl to cool. It will thicken as it cools. When cool add the saffron and mix well. Chill.

9. Plate the steaks carefully to avoid any of the soaking curry to make it to the plate. Now pour this cream custard over each steak. Garnish with candied pistachios and serve chilled.

PS: I was inspired to make this after reading the wonderful posts on usage of Curry in western dishes around the site. I would have to say I was most inspired by Steve Klc's confidence provding posts on successful usage of curry in desserts... So here is my version of a Bengali Curried Steak. A fun way of serving Ras Malai.

There you go Tommy! :smile:

i've already lost interest. but thanks anyway. :wink:

".........so much of food is freeing one's self from these impositions, these associations, from previously held perceptions and rigid beliefs in how things should be or are meant to be........" Steve Klc on thread on Vosges chocolates

The above is my new Sutra of the month "Curry Sutra"...Tommy, if you follow it, you too can enjoy this steak.:wink: