• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking In Season

This year, I really want to cook more meals using seasonal fruits and vegetables. The challenge has been knowing what is available when. Also, I am a relative newcomer to the Western North Carolina (WNC) area from the Northeast and don't know how the more temperate climate affects availability.

To try and get my head wrapped around this challenge, I've put together the following list as a starting point. I would greatly appreciate hearing any changes people might have and insights to regional fruits/veggies and their availability that I may be unaware of.

The other area where I could use some help is getting a grip on items that may or may not be this list but have very limited availability. For instance, I seem to recall that blood oranges are generally in season/available like one month out of the year. I have a number of recipes calling for them, but I can never seem to time it for when they can be found.

Any and all input is welcome!

SPRING : Apricots, Avocados, Mango, Pineapple, Rhubarb, Strawberries, Artichoke, Asparagus, Belgian Endive, Cabbage, Celeriac, Chives, Collards,

Fava Beans, Fennel, Fiddlehead Ferns, Morels, Mustard Greens, New Potatoes, Peas, Peppers, Spinach, Sugar Snap/Snow Peas, Vidalia Onions, Watercress

SUMMER: Blackberries, Blueberries, Nectarines, Peaches, Plums, Raspberries, Tomatoes, Watermelon, Beans, Beets, Bell Peppers, Broccoli,

Carrots, Chinese Cabbage, Corn, Cucumber, Eggplant, Garlic, Green Beans, Okra, Peas, Potatoes, Peppers, Summer Squash, Zucchini

FALL: Apples, Cranberries, Figs, Grapes, Pears, Pomegranate, Quince, Acorn Squash, Belgian Endive, Bell Peppers, Butternut Squash, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celeriac, Cucumbers, Garlic, Ginger, Mushrooms, Okra, Parsnips, Peppers, Potatoes, Pumpkin, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Swiss Chard

WINTER: Chestnuts, Grapefruit, Lemons, Oranges, Tangerines, Beets, Belgian Endive, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli, Carrots, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celery,

Kale, Leeks, Potatoes, Peppers, Radicchio, Radishes, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Turnips, Winter Squash

The Wright Table

Becoming a better home cook, one meal at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

Blood oranges are usually available in February in East TN, although other varieties of Red Oranges (cara cara reds, for example) turn up in the store in the very late fall. If you are Western NC, and can make it to Asheville, go to earthfare or something- they have a good representation of what's "local" (although they stretch just what that means), and generally are pretty knowledgeable (in Knoxville at least) about what produce is local and seasonal. Also maybe pick up a farmer's almanac? Great list though! I always wonder about this too.

This year, I really want to cook more meals using seasonal fruits and vegetables. The challenge has been knowing what is available when. Also, I am a relative newcomer to the Western North Carolina (WNC) area from the Northeast and don't know how the more temperate climate affects availability.

To try and get my head wrapped around this challenge, I've put together the following list as a starting point. I would greatly appreciate hearing any changes people might have and insights to regional fruits/veggies and their availability that I may be unaware of.

The other area where I could use some help is getting a grip on items that may or may not be this list but have very limited availability. For instance, I seem to recall that blood oranges are generally in season/available like one month out of the year. I have a number of recipes calling for them, but I can never seem to time it for when they can be found.

Any and all input is welcome!

SPRING : Apricots, Avocados, Mango, Pineapple, Rhubarb, Strawberries, Artichoke, Asparagus, Belgian Endive, Cabbage, Celeriac, Chives, Collards,

Fava Beans, Fennel, Fiddlehead Ferns, Morels, Mustard Greens, New Potatoes, Peas, Peppers, Spinach, Sugar Snap/Snow Peas, Vidalia Onions, Watercress

SUMMER: Blackberries, Blueberries, Nectarines, Peaches, Plums, Raspberries, Tomatoes, Watermelon, Beans, Beets, Bell Peppers, Broccoli,

Carrots, Chinese Cabbage, Corn, Cucumber, Eggplant, Garlic, Green Beans, Okra, Peas, Potatoes, Peppers, Summer Squash, Zucchini

FALL: Apples, Cranberries, Figs, Grapes, Pears, Pomegranate, Quince, Acorn Squash, Belgian Endive, Bell Peppers, Butternut Squash, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celeriac, Cucumbers, Garlic, Ginger, Mushrooms, Okra, Parsnips, Peppers, Potatoes, Pumpkin, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Swiss Chard

WINTER: Chestnuts, Grapefruit, Lemons, Oranges, Tangerines, Beets, Belgian Endive, Brussel Sprouts, Broccoli, Carrots, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Celery,

Kale, Leeks, Potatoes, Peppers, Radicchio, Radishes, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes,  Turnips, Winter Squash

• 7 months later...