• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is business really picking up?...

I had dinner at Icon last night and was surprised (but happy) to see the place was packed, on a Wednesday night no less. When I asked our server if Icon was participating in the 25 for $25 promotion, she said they weren't because business had been so good. Is the Seattle restaurant biz turning the corner or is Icon just defying the trend for some reason?....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

That *is* surprising. They're owned by Applebee's -- wouldn't that preclude them from participating in the 25 for $25 thing?

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

That *is* surprising.  They're owned by Applebee's -- wouldn't that preclude them from participating in the 25 for $25 thing?

I was nervous when I heard that the Applebee's parent company was buying the place but, so far at least, they've maintained the same food quality and atmosphere.

Not sure what the qualifications are for participating in the 25 for $25 thing, but you're probably right.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Nancy Leson writes about this topic in today's Times - "highend hotspots drawing dinner crowds." Also a list of those restaurants participating in the 25 for $25.

I noticed lines out the doors of places around 2 p.m. last Sunday - a lot of brunching going on too!

Nancy Leson writes about this topic in today's Times - "highend hotspots drawing dinner crowds." Also a list of those restaurants participating in the 25 for $25.

I noticed lines out the doors of places around 2 p.m. last Sunday - a lot of brunching going on too!

Here's a link to the Leson article:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/rest...69_taste30.html

As for lines out the door on a Sunday, that's every Sunday on Capitol Hill.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

• 3 weeks later...

Just noticed this tidbit in the business section of today's Times:

• "Restaurant supply and demand is almost perfectly balanced in the Seattle area, according to a new index that tries to help businesses figure out where to build new restaurants.
    Claritas, a demographic data and market-research company, developed the index, which gauges restaurant supply and demand in most metro markets in the country. The Seattle-Bellevue-Everett area had an index of 102, with 100 indicating restaurant supply perfectly matches demand. Seattle ranked 14th nationally in overall restaurant sales at $3.9 billion.
    An index number under 100 indicates unmet demand. Bellingham is a hot spot, the 16th-best market for new restaurants. Spokane is at 87, indicating some opportunities."

See the right-hand links on this page to download some of Claritas' reports on the restaurant industry in PDF format.