• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Externship Ideas

Bantams

Hello EGulleters!

I am a student at the Culinary Institute of America (started in October) currently looking for an externship location. The CIA externship is an 18-week period spent at some food-related job - in a restaurant, a hotel, a resort, or even at a food magazine or newspaper.

However, I am looking for something a bit different than most. I do not want to work in a typical restaurant. I’ve already worked for 10 months at a James Beard award-winning chef’s restaurant, which I absolutely loved doing, but I don’t picture myself working at a restaurant the rest of my life. I love the outdoors and animals; I milk my own cow and make cheese, raise our own meat and eggs and vegetables, forage for wild foods, and I also ride and drive horses.

Some ideas that I am researching already:

- A “glamping” (glamour-camping) site - here are two I have found already:

http://www.pawsup.com/resort/

http://www.wildretreat.com/

- Equestrian safaris

- A working farm/restaurant – one that raises all their own vegetables, meat, and dairy

However, I would ideally go overseas for my externship, and I haven’t been able to find many resources. I am particularly interested in the UK and Italy.

My externship is from May – October.

So, if any of you have additional ideas, or specific locations in mind, let me know!!

Thank you so much!

Kelsey

You may want to post this query on those country boards for a better response...

“"When you wake up in the morning, Pooh," said Piglet at last, "what's the first thing you say to yourself?"

"What's for breakfast?" said Pooh. "What do you say, Piglet?"

"I say, I wonder what's going to happen exciting today?" said Piglet.

Pooh nodded thoughtfully.

"It's the same thing," he said.”