• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salad Lyonaisse

shacke

It seems there are an infinite number of dressing interpretations - a common thread being poached egg and bacon as additions.

Is there a traditional preparation for the dressing on this salad?

Thanks

Dough can sense fear.

I don't really know why you'd put bacon and egg in the dressing- those go on the salad itself, right? 

Yeah - it just seems like the toppings are universal but the dressing is not. I was curious what the original creation actually was before the recipe big bang.

Dough can sense fear.

I don't really know why you'd put bacon and egg in the dressing- those go on the salad itself, right? 

Yeah - it just seems like the toppings are universal but the dressing is not. I was curious what the original creation actually was before the recipe big bang.

Probably a simple vinegar and oil dressing with a bit of mustard. However bacon strikes me as a variation of the usual confit gizzards.

Yeah - it just seems like the toppings are universal but the dressing is not.  I was curious what the original creation actually was before the recipe big bang.

I checked my copy of Larousse Gastromonique & the copy of the New Professional Chef and that salad (unless I'm a complete dumbass which is entirely possible) is conspicuous by its absence.

Wikipedia, while unauthoritative, was also entirely unhelpful.

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--