• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Santa Monica restaurants

rhinopias

I have tried a search and have come up empty. Anyone know of a source of or have information on ethnic BYOB restaurants in Santa Monica. I would also be interested in moderately priced dining that's not BYOB. Any help would be much appreciated.

Santa Monica is the more "trendy" side of L.A. and is less known for even having ethnic eateries. Also, it would help if you defined what you are looking for in "ethnic" -- South American, Asian, Outer Mongolian, etc...

On Sawtelle in Culver City (close to SM) is a great empanadas place (called Empanadas Place) where I used to bring my own bottle. Does that count?

Sure Empanadas count, love them. That sounds like a great lunch. Will try.

I travel to LA or Santa Monica a few times a year for business and have had many nice meals at upscale and/or trendy restaurants. Staying in Santa Monica with my husband this trip and thought we'd try something different if available. We are from Chicago where we are surrounded by wonderful BYOB and/or ethnic restaurants that make for a great night out. We are open to any suggestions or links where we could do our own research. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I believe that Sham (http://www.sham.la/), a middle eastern restaurant, is byob. I really enjoy their lentil soup, mouhummarra, moutabbal, and shwarma sandwiches. The prices on their website are outdated and are slightly higher now.

Cha Cha Chicken is byob and is 'caribbean.' The food is not very authentic but it is tasty. The seating is outdoors so don't go expecting great ambiance.

Musha is a great izakaya, it isn't byob, but they do have very cheap draft sapporo (pitcher for $8 I believe).

And, Houston's always makes a great byob choice but is not ethnic and being a chain might not be someplace you want to go, but their burgers and baked potato are great.