• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Using unripe apples and bananas in bread?

maui420

hi,

i am following the raisin walnut bread recipe from the bread bakers apprentice by Peter Reinhardt. now, id like to try a banana walnut cinnamon bread and a apple walnut cinnamon bread. i was wondering if i can saute the apples or bananas with some butter and sugar to sweeten them before adding them to the bread for the second rise. any suggestions for this?

thanks all

i was wondering if i can saute the apples or bananas with some butter and sugar to sweeten them before adding them to the bread for the second rise. any suggestions for this?

I would dry diced apples in a low oven, maybe around 250, until it's leathery. I thought that recipe was plenty sweet and rich on its own, so I wouldn't add additional butter or sugar (but that's just my taste). I'm not so sure how to add the bananas, though.

In any case, the fruits should be as dry as possible so a cavern doesn't form in the spirals when baking.