• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

HollyEats Through Eternity

Holly Moore

No plans of shuffling off my mortal coils anytime soon, but I guess it has to happen some time.

So what happens to HollyEats.Com? Books live on forever. As far as I can tell web sites vaporize shortly after the provider doesn't receive its monthly stipend.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

It will probably live forever in the Internet Archive aka Wayback Machine, and perhaps future sites like it. Right now you can go there to look at archived versions of HollyEats.com dating back to August of 2000:

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://hollyeats.com

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

That's cool, though I'm guessing it won't show up on search engines., resulting in far less attention than my soul will surely require.

I'd like to have people stumble upon it in a few hundred years and yearn for the time when a cheesesteak was a cheesesteak and not a capsule from a bottle.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Egads, thanks. And don't think I won't be checking in every generation or two.

Let me turn off my ego for a second and rephrase my question so it is not just about me.

There is a wealth of quirky knowledge such as HollyEats on the internet - where someone has put great effort into their web site or their blog. Information about the life, opinions and habits of our time. All meaningful fodder for 23rd century historians and curiosity seekers. Yet most sites and blogs will vanish immediately after the blogger's dies or the organization fades or merges. In some cases a family member or friend make keep it going for a generation or two. But likely not, and surely not for centuries.

Yet there is much out there that should be saved. I'm thinking a university or foundation project. Maybe a museum. Blogs, discussion forums like eGullet and sites like HollyEats may well become cyber antiquities of the early 21st century.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I believe that's the point of the Internet Archive. It's a pretty amazing project and they have been working on improving the search engine. I wouldn't be surprised to see something like it from Google as well, at some point.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)