• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

First "Perfect Steak" episode of series- thoughts?

the_nomad

Hey, all! I wonder if I can request the wit and wisdom of Egullet?

I've spent the last 6 months working on a new web video cookery show, called "Kamikaze Cookery". It goes live today, with our very first episode, and we're also blogging daily.

Basically, it's Top Gear meets Mythbusters, meets a cookery show. We're exploring all kinds of culinary topics, mostly with the aim of explaining the science behind cooking and how you can use it, but in an entertaining way. With flames and sweary stick figures.

Episode 1, entitled "The Perfect Steak", is HERE, in which we talk about the science of cooking meat, and demonstrate the world's most jury-rigged sous-vide setup ever. The trailer for the whole series is HERE if you want to get a glimpse before committing your time.

So, I have two questions...

1) What do you think? What do you like? What do you hate? What would you like to see more of? Would you recommend us to your friends? And so on.

2) We're going to be doing a second mini-video on Monday - more of a video blog than a full episode (the next one of which comes out on Wednesday 15th). What would you like to see in it? I'd be really interested in hearing if there's stuff you think we should explore more - do you want to hear about using jury-rigged sous-vide for something else? Or would you like to hear more about the practical details? Or hear us respond to some criticisms?

We're really serious about making this a must-watch for foodies on the 'net, so I really, really want to hear anything and everything you have to say!

Kamikaze Cookery: Three geeks cook. With Science. And occasionally, explosions.

http://www.kamikazecookery.com

• 3 months later...

Hey! I've watched all your episodes, and I really enjoy them. The facts are dead on, and your sense of humour is right up my alley. The Fife diet episode was by far the most interesting to me, so I would like to see more local food features, while still using modern techniques to prepare them. This could include lessons in cheese preparation, curing and preserving, meat butchery...essentially things that a home cook could do. The only episodes I grew a bit bored on were the Famous chef vs Regular Joe....I think one episode was enough to prove your point.

Keep up the great work!

Ariel