• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Szechuan Buttons or Peppercorns in Dessert

pjm333

Has anyone ever used Sechuan Buttons in a dessert before ? I discovered them today at work and found them very interesting. Im guessing they are more of a savory item but I was just curious..thanks !!

YouTube - Taste Test: Button Up

Same as szechuan pepper/sansho? We have 'tinge' or 'local pepper' here which as far as I can tell is the same thing, it has floral qualities and makes your lips numb.

I tried it in some ganache, but it needed more pepper, or maybe sweeter chocolate, the flavor didn't really come through. I haven't tried that one again yet, but next time I would do milk or white instead of dark. I do use a little bit in a black sesame florentine that is a garnish for a lemon cake, I think it works pretty well in that. I'd definitely be interested in more sweet uses for it. I bet fruits like strawberry or pineapple would do well with a sprinkling of szechuan pepper.

I also like pink peppercorns in desserts. I did a pink peppercorn meringue for something a few years ago, might have been with lemon again. Meringue is so sweet that I find a little spice in it rather nice.

Edited by pastrygirl (log)

Same as szechuan pepper/sansho?  We have 'tinge' or 'local pepper' here which as far as I can tell is the same thing, it has floral qualities and makes your lips numb.

The buttons are different from the peppercorns.

picture

I can't imagine how one would use them in a sweet application because they look as though they should be used whole (prettier that way). Maybe chocolate dipped szechuan buttons?