• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[msp] Bangkok Thai Deli and Supermarket

prasantrin

After reading about this place on another board, my mother and I had to try it tonight.

We only had three dishes--stuffed chicken wings, yum woo sen, and pad krapow moo. The pad krapow moo was ordered medium, and it was perfectly spiced for us. The flavours were right on, though there could have been more depth. There's a flavour I like it pad krapow, but is optional, and this one didn't have it. (I can't remember what it is, but I know it when I taste it.)

The yum woo sen was also very good--not too tart, and not sweet like some places make it. The noodles were perfectly dressed. The only problem was that it was much too spicy for us! We ordered medium, but the guy wrote "medium hot", and if what we had was medium hot, I'd hate to try their hot. We each had a forkful, and my mother ate all the shrimp, lettuce, and cucumber, but the rest of the noodles were untouched. My dad would have loved the heat, but it was definitely not for most non-Thais.

I didn't eat the stuffed chicken wing, but my mother said the filling was plentiful and the flavour was good. They use panko as breading, so it looked quite crunchy.

We paid $18 for the three--it should have been more (the food pre-tax should have been $18), but the owner took off a couple of dollars because of the yum woo sen. We also got some hor mok to go ($3 for one), but we haven't tried it, yet.

Verdict: If you like Thai food, you should try this place. Most of the clientele were Hmong when we were there, but the owners are Thai from Bangkok (or so they told us). Be careful of the heat, though. When they say hot, they really mean hot!

ETA: The hor mok is excellent. It's different from what we're used to (it's not a steamed fish mousse made with red curry paste, but this one is more natural-looking and has large chucks of fish in it in addition to the mousse). We're going back to get more tonight, so we can get our friend in Winnipeg to make us a similar kind.

Edited by prasantrin (log)