• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Institut National de Boulangerie Patisserie

RichardJones

I am looking to do my foundation patisserie training in France next year. I am currently a keen amateur chef able to make basic pastry types but with no professional experience.

A course I came across was the 5 month formation offered by the Institut National de Boulangerie Patisserie in Rouen (http://www.inbp.fr/).

Has anyone had any experience of this institution? It is so hard to judge cookery schools when they all have shiny websites -- any anyone can call themselves a national institute. I would be very grateful for any feedback or advice you can offer.

Also, I would love to consider any other recommendations people have.

Many thanks for your help,

Richard

===================================================

I kept a blog during my pâtisserie training in France: Candid Cake

Personally, I don't know the answer to your questions -- BUT --

if you go to http://www.foodbeam.com/ I think you might find someone in a very good position to tell you quite a lot about patisserie training in France. Fanny posts here on eGullet occasionally, but contacting her via her blog would probably be more direct.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

INBP forms an important segment of the leaders in the French artisanal baking industry; the other organisation is les Compagnons du Devoir. And of note, some compagnons are employed by the INBP, and some compagnons take classes there as part of their formation.

While I have not been to the INBP, Mr. Rosada, who is generally recognised as the nation's most accomplished artisanal baker/teacher, is a graduate of their Master's program.

I hope that answers the question; and in the interest of full disclosure I have not attended the school.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”