• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Carafes & Airpots for Hot & Cold Drinks

After breaking the glass lining on a liter carafe, I ordered an all stainless Zojurishi one liter carafe from Amazon. So far I like it a lot: keeps coffee drinkably hot much longer than the coffee flavor will stay fresh (about 5 hours before the flavor deteriorates); ice cubes for iced tea will not shatter the lining; wide mouth makes it easy to clean the interior; attractive shape; and the wide base makes it very stable.

For an airpot and a larger 2 liter carafe, I am looking primarily at the Zojurishi stainless models. But from my Amazon research and googling it looks like Nissan/Thermos also makes some excellent carafes and airpots.

Anyone have experience with airpots by both Zojurishi and Nissan/Thermos? Any reason the choose one over the other other than price and personal preference regarding the appearance? Glass vs stainless? Other brands?

While my personal interest is for home use, brunches, parties, picnics, etc. no reason we can't discuss commercial uses here, too.

Here are a few of the carafes and Airpots refered to in the above post.

All of the following have stainless liners rather than glass, which does not transport as safely or make shattering a non-issue with adding ice as the stainless does. Glass-lined carafes and Airpots are a little less expensive and retain heat a little better, but for me not enough to make up for the advantages of stainless-lined.

Here's the one liter Zojirishi stainless carafe I got recently to replace a glass lined one. Works well for one to three people.

This is a 64 ounce/2 liter Zojirishi carafe for up to, say, 8 people.

And here's the 3 liter Zojirishi stainless Airpot. I have noticed that the price on this rocks back and forth between $65 and $70 a couple of times each month. Should be good for up to about 12 people.