• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Winnipeg Restaurant News

Pam R

I thought it would be good to have a topic to keep track of what's going on in the city.

As we know from the Glutton's topic, they're up and running with a new chef running the kitchen (Mark Wrigley).

Gordon Sinclair's restaurant roundup (click) in April also mentioned that the Yuels, who run Tavern in the Park won't be renewing their lease. Wasabi will be opening up Wasabisabi on Taylor (in the Piazza De Nardi strip mall) this fall. Good news for those of us in River Heights and Lindenwoods.

Joey's just opened on Kenaston and a couple of weeks ago I saw a sign in a new strip mall just behind Joey's -- a Clay Oven is going in, close to the new Marble Slab ice cream store.

Johnnie Foxe's, an Irish pub recently opened on Academy and a new Italian place is going in.

This weekend's business section had a story about the old Sheraton/York hotel downtown. It's being turned into an apartment building and Dale and Barb Yuel of the Tavern will be opening two new restaurants there. One will be a cafe, the other a restaurant/lounge.

Anything else happening?

My daughter recently took me to Asahi Sushi on Broadway. The owner said they were moving this month - June - to where...I can't remember :unsure: close to Assiniboine Park area?

My kids seemd to enjoy the food there and had become regulars. Daughter's BF works close-by so he will miss his frequent sushi lunches.

I don't know much about sushi, but what I had what really fresh and yummy. THE BOY ordered deep-fried salmon head - to test my bravery: "Will she eat the eyeballs?" I did. :biggrin:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Interesting . . I'm close to Assiniboine Park myself. Is it me or are we getting Sushi restaurants on every corner?

On another note, the Falafel Place is moving from it's location on Corydon to a spot closer to Little Italy (at Wilton, I believe) and I've heard a couple of rumours about what will be going into it's old location (all the rumours have been for chains). Same goes for the Grapes spot on Kenaston. There are 'for lease' signs in the window but rumours are flying about what might go in there.

A friend's sister works at Hanabi (I think Hanabi) on Corydon, and she told me they were opening another branch almost right across the street from the current branch. It's going to be bigger and nicer.

Is the Clay Oven a branch of the one on Inkster? It would be nice to have an Indian restaurant in the south end of the city.

A friend's sister works at Hanabi (I think Hanabi) on Corydon, and she told me they were opening another branch almost right across the street from the current branch.  It's going to be bigger and nicer.

Is the Clay Oven a branch of the one on Inkster?  It would be nice to have an Indian restaurant in the south end of the city.

Been to the Clay Oven on Inkster. I thought their meat entrees were REALLY skimpy on the meat. Did it used to be a donut shop or some other fast-food chain?

What's your recommends for Indian? Only other place I've been to was IVORY - for the buffet. Quite a large selection, but I'm not experienced enough to know if it's good - poor quality. Good way to try different items.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Been to the Clay Oven on Inkster. I thought their meat entrees were REALLY skimpy on the meat. Did it used to be a donut shop or some other fast-food chain?

What's your recommends for Indian? Only other place I've been to was IVORY - for the buffet. Quite a large selection, but I'm not experienced enough to know if it's good - poor quality. Good way to try different items.

It looks like it used to be a Robin's or something like that. We only had lunch there, and it was good enough (though I didn't think it was great). I'd never drive all the way out there again just to eat there, though if it were in my end of the city, I'd go when craving Indian. (We usually get samosas from an Indian grocery store on Pembina, but that's the closest to Indian we get out there unless you count Sweet Palace which I think is Pakistani.)

It's been years since I've had Indian food (other than samosas) in Winnipeg, but I used to go to Taste of India (Sargent and Young, conveniently across from Asia City). I think India Palace on Ellice used to be good, but again, it's been years since I've eaten there. If the owners haven't changed, they were once part-owners of Bombay Snack House (which was in the same strip mall as Maxim's Bakery). BSH was awesome, and I was quite sad when it closed. I know India Palace's samosas are still good, but can't speak to the rest of the food.

Maybe Indian should go on my list of summer eating!

The Clay Oven on Inkster used to be a Coffee Time. I've never been, but will try it when it opens in Lindenwoods.

I don't have Indian often, but I've enjoyed Ivory the few times I've been there.

• 2 weeks later...

My mother just went to Taste of India (Sargent and Young), and said everything at the lunch buffet was good today. Even the tandoori chicken was moist and flavourful (we're not big fans of tandoori chicken). The price has gone up to $12/person, and there were no samosas (there was one table that had samosas, but whether they were ordered or comped, my mother didn't know), but she said it's definitely worth it if the food is as good as it was today.

Best to go when they first open, so the paratha is fresh.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the newly opened "Pizzeria Gusto" on Academy Rd. tonight, and have mixed feelings about the place. Great Decor, warm and modern, plus the open "pizza kitchen" with a wood-fired oven looks impressive. Menu was interesting and the all-Italian wine list is great and well priced. The pizzas we tried were good. The dough was wonderful in texture though it was missing some salt, and I would have baked it in a hotter oven. Service was mediocre, and a little overbearing. Panna Cotta Duo for dessert was a refreshing end to the meal.

Went to the newly opened "Pizzeria Gusto" on Academy Rd. tonight, and have mixed feelings about the place. Great Decor, warm and modern, plus the open "pizza kitchen" with a wood-fired oven looks impressive. Menu was interesting and the all-Italian wine list is great and well priced. The pizzas we tried were good. The dough was wonderful in texture though it was missing some salt, and I would have baked it in a hotter oven. Service was mediocre, and a little overbearing. Panna Cotta Duo for dessert was a refreshing end to the meal.

Do they have a pizza with anchovies, capers, and olives (the good kind, not the flavourless canned kind)? Was the crust thin and crispy in texture, or crispy but with some chew?

This summer, my two quests are Indian and wood-fired oven pizza. The latter is most important, because I know once I move back to Winnipeg, it will be one of the things I miss most.

BTW, Ciao's June/July issue's News features a new cupcake store at 439 Stradbrook, The Cupcakery. We're a little behind the times, but finally have a store devoted to little cakes.

In the Exchange (114 Market), we have Don Pedro's Mexican Grill. The magazine says that there are 2 Mexican chefs running the kitchen and that the food is 'authentic'.

And McNally Robinson opened up at Polo Park with a new Prairie Ink Restaurant and Bakery.

Finally, the Conservatory at Assiniboine Park is now Star at the Conservatory and is being run by the folks from Star Grill.

BTW, Ciao's June/July issue's News features a new cupcake store at 439 Stradbrook, The Cupcakery.  We're a little behind the times, but finally have a store devoted to little cakes.

In the Exchange (114 Market), we have Don Pedro's Mexican Grill.  The magazine says that there are 2 Mexican chefs running the kitchen and that the food is 'authentic'.

And McNally Robinson opened up at Polo Park with a new Prairie Ink Restaurant and Bakery.

Finally, the Conservatory at Assiniboine Park is now Star at the Conservatory and is being run by the folks from Star Grill.

I did a search, and Don Pedro's seems to be located in the same space as (or next to) a Mexican-themed club with a bad name I can't bring myself to type up here. So far I've read it isn't very good (plus the club has a detailed dress code, which may or may not apply to the restaurant). But it will go on my list, along with Pollo Volante, in my search for Mexican in Winnipeg (I'm prepared to be disappointed--Ciao calling food "authentic" is like Marion Warhaft calling food "authentic").

Any other new places I can try?

I did a search, and Don Pedro's seems to be located in the same space as (or next to) a Mexican-themed club with a bad name I can't bring myself to type up here.  So far I've read it isn't very good (plus the club has a detailed dress code, which may or may not apply to the restaurant).  But it will go on my list, along with Pollo Volante, in my search for Mexican in Winnipeg (I'm prepared to be disappointed--Ciao calling food "authentic" is like Marion Warhaft calling food "authentic").

Any other new places I can try?

I'm just reporting the news here. :wink:

No other news today, but I'll keep posting as I hear/read things.

• 2 weeks later...

Just Desserts on Provencher is closed, and Sawatdee Thai will be opening in the space.

Anyone know what happened to Just Desserts? I haven't been there in a few years, but the last time I was there, I thought it was good.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

I don't know what happened to Just Desserts (but maybe the confusion between us will now end).

I'm one of those who suffered from confusion!

Is Sawadee opening a second place or moving?

I'm not sure. I had thought the one on South Osborne closed after they had those problems a couple of years ago, but maybe it was a different restaurant owned by another family member. (Sorry, I made a mistake, and they spell it "Sawatdee" not "Sawadee".)

It looks like a Hong Kong-style bakery will be opening up in my 'hood! It will be located next to Sun Fortune at 2077 Pembina Hwy. I can't remember the name, though, and there was no indication of an opening date (they're hiring staff now).

Have you heard about a sushi place opening in the MTS building basement? It's called UMI Sushi.

One of my Korean student's husband has been hired to work there. He was working at a sushi restaurant here in Brandon for a while until a disagreement about counter height made him leave.

Any news about the new location for Ashahi Sushi?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

• 4 weeks later...

In the paper recently, WOW Hospitality is taking over the Tavern in the Park location. I don't know how I feel about that.

Wasabi Sabi has opened on Taylor (at Piazza di Nardi). I haven't been in to eat, but I picked something up for lunch a couple of days ago and liked it. Looking forward to going in for a meal.

The Winnipeg Free Press reported that Gluttons was bought by Terry Gereta and will re-open as Mise in September. I guess that puts to end any speculation that Gluttons would reopen elsewhere.

Lovey's BBQ is open at 208 Marion. Lunched there yesterday, and will report eventually.

Noodle Express in the Dynasty Building in Chinatown has xiaolongbao. Had lunch there the other day, and will report on the food in the appropriate topic.

• 2 weeks later...

Lilac Bakery opened on Grosvenor, almost at the corner of Stafford sometime in the first two weeks of August (it wasn't open when I left Aug. 5, but was open when I returned Aug. 15.

More Mise news...they're anticipating an October opening date for the new place on Corydon, and they'll be keeping the old space for events, catering, and baking. They may eventually close it, but they'll see how things go. They'll also be opening a gourmet store with take-out foods. They wanted to expand the restaurant, but that would have led to renovations galore (extra washrooms, etc.).

• 2 weeks later...