• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern Comfort/Cuff and Buttons

Now that peaches are entering season, I've decided to embark on a project for a cocktail I'm working on for my current bar, which is the creation of a more mixable, custom Southern Comfort/Cuff & Buttons style liqueur, and wanted to solicit any information any folks here might happen to have, specifically as regards constituent ingredients/notes in Southern Comfort.

So far, obviously, peach & orange, as well as vanilla, and some cinnamon (?).

At the moment, I'm think of mixing an infusion of brulee'd, baked peach with fresh peach, orange zest, vanilla bean, and a hint of cinnamon.

Near as I can tell from the information available, originally the liqueur was an attempt to improve on the flavour of poor-quality, young whiskey arriving in New Orleans from points north.

Any guidance/obscure information/tips anyone here might have would be greatly appreciated, and of course I'll be excited to share successes and stumbles along the way, as well as any final recipe arising for all interested.

Cheers,

NJ

Will you be using whiskey as the base spirit.

I believe that nowadays they use neutral grain Spirit and that's why the label changed from black to white??

Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers,

RM

i´d rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy! Fred Allen.