• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

Angel's Thai on Broadway has gone out of business. In its place will be something called Canal Asian Bar & Grill.

There's a new Vietnamese place on the ground floor of the Press condo building (Pike & Boylston??) called Green Papaya.

Scrat68 mentions a place called Lemongrass on another thread. Is this new? I'm intrigued since it's so close to work.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Scrat68 mentions a place called Lemongrass on another thread.  Is this new?  I'm intrigued since it's so close to work.

Its in the same space that has been at least three different Vietnamese places, as far as I know. This incarnation is about a year old I think. There's yet another Vietnamese restaurant going into the new apartment building across 12th from Seattle U.

Also interesting, for me at least, is that a brew pub/sports bar is also going into that building....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

There's a new Vietnamese place on the ground floor of the Press condo building (Pike & Boylston??) called Green Papaya.

Is this open now? I've been peeking through the window occasionally for months.

Yep. I walked by on Wednesday night and there were diners. I couldn't see what the food looked like. The interior looks a little austere.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

In today's Times, Nancy Leson's column says that the owner of Cassis is opening a lunch-focused French cafe in the lobby of the Smith Tower. Sign me up!

He makes an interesting comment to the effect that he doesn't think Cassis will ever make money and that he continues it out of the goodness of his heart. Interesting....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I heard from a friend that Azuma on 9th and Jackson is now closed. To confirm I just now called their number and it's been disconnected. :sad:

Although I liked Azuma, it doesn't surprise me at all that they went under. Never in all the times I've been there was a half decent crowd. As a matter of fact, I've never seen more than two other parties in there at the same time. I feel bad for them 'cause they were the only Kaiten style bar in town.

• 1 month later...

The Saffron Cow in West Seattle has closed its doors. I never ate there and saw mixed reviews of the place, so I can't comment one way or the other.

Set to open in its place is Endolyne Joe's. No clue as to what kind of restaurant EJ's will be - the application for liquor license on the door said it would be a restaurant/lounge.

Edited to address my own cluelessness: come to find out, Endolyne Joe's is the latest venture of Chow Foods, the folks who've brought us The 5 Spot, Coastal Kitchen, Jitterbug, and Atlas Foods. If EJ's follows suit, it will likely feature a rotating menu of regional specials.

Edited by Ye-Ye Girl (log)

Other comings and goings...

Recently closed:

Fleming's Steakhouse

Harbor Place (which used to be 96 Union, and before that, Leo Melina's)

Recently opened:

The Fish Club (at the new waterfront Marriott)

Rippe's Steaks (on Pier 70)

Coming soon:

Union (at Union & 1st - where Marcha used to be)

Baleen (replacing Six Seven at The Edgewater)

Bandol - the previously mentioned venture by the owner of Cassis at the base of the Smith Tower

Coming soon:

Baleen (replacing Six Seven at The Edgewater)

Already?! Didn't Six Seven open just a year ago?

And some of these new restaurant names are just DUMB. Bandol? Won't people immediately think "Bandoleone?" Union? :blink:

I've also had quite enough of Chow Foods.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Coming soon to a waterfront hotel near you...

Baleen, San Diego Menu

Nothing particularly wrong with it, but not sure its going to wow anyone....

Due to the slumping economy, the Brewwerks - Hole in the Wall Barbecue in Kirkland (I'm a financial partner in the restaurant) will be closing its doors for good this week.

The brewing side of the operation opened in 1996 and added the restaurant in 2000. The BBQ was decent food, and it gave me my first experience in the restaurant biz, albeit a small, simple operation.

Someday... someday... I'm going to address this relentless passion and open up a place of my own.

Edited by Really Nice! (log)

Drink!

I refuse to spend my life worrying about what I eat. There is no pleasure worth forgoing just for an extra three years in the geriatric ward. --John Mortimera

Someone has opened "Diner" in the old Denny's location on Aurora, North of Denny Way. There were people in there last evening...not me.

A new Italian flavored stop in the Market. Lost my receipt, and the name. Bella something? Everything is truffled (except the desserts?) Celeraic soup, lentil and sausage soup of the day, a variety of meat and vegi sandwiches with truffle oil or spread. Also, selling olive oil, preserved truffles, dry pasta, dried mushrooms...Tried a porchetta sandwich. Tasty, but they need to figure out to operate the place and get the food warmed and served. Won't be the draw that Salumi is, but a decent addition to the Market food scene.

• 2 weeks later...

I see there's a new place going in at the north end of Broadway where that hair salon vacated from a couple years ago. The sign looks vaguely southeast asian, but I don't remember the name (and also wasn't sure how to pronounce it). Anybody have the scoop?

It's the end for the Cloud Room.  *SOB*

The only time I ate at The Cloud Room was on the night of my high school prom. Given how that evening turned out, I wasn't anxious to relive the experience. :shock::smile:

It is a cool, funky place though...

I see there's a new place going in at the north end of Broadway where that hair salon vacated from a couple years ago. The sign looks vaguely southeast asian, but I don't remember the name (and also wasn't sure how to pronounce it). Anybody have the scoop?

The former Diversity Hair Design space at Broadway and Roy now has a sign up for Da Lat Cafe (add several accent marks on various letters). I think it's Vietnamese. The space is completely gutted, and doesn't look like it will be ready for a while. Da Lat is joining a block that already has Siam on Broadway, Broadway Wok & Grill, and Jade Pagoda. The only non-Asian-restaurant businesses on that block are the minimart and Orpheum Records (which, to my great dismay, just announced it's closing, and has already sold most of its stock). Across the street, Galerias is doing a booming business with its new bar, and Thai Kitchen, recently re-opened under new management, has added sidewalk tables. (I haven't been there yet because we always go to Siam. Also, the new management made it very dark inside, and I don't really like sidewalk tables.) Pagliacci on Broadway is closed for at least two weeks for a complete remodel.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

And if you want to know what the Broadway Pagliacci is going to look like when it's done, it's going to look just like the Lake City Pagliacci, the one near Pancho Villa.

That block containing the four Asian restaurants is slated for demolition and redevelopment next year; at least, that's why Diversity Hair Design said they moved out. Obviously, that could change at any time with the market, and usually these things happen later rather than sooner.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May