• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[Seattle] Farewell & Welcome: Closings, Transformations, Openings (Part 1)

Pan-african seems to be an Ethiopian place--at least, there was a bunch of Ethiopian food on the menu. There may also have been stuff from other parts of Africa, though. I didn't look too closely.

Slight OT, but I had a good meal at Blue Nile on 12th, near Seattle U, last night. Eight of us, bill came to $45 with a hefty tip.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

The Mojito Cafe's new location just opened last Friday at 181 Western. Stopped at the original location on Lake City Way Sunday afternoon for a mojito on the way to an Aquasox game in Everett. Found out the new spot was open, and stopped there for mojitos on the way back. :biggrin:

It's a nice spot - very open, bright and festive (the bar seats are bongo drums), with lots of big windows. The design concept is based on the Ernest Hemingway home in Key West. Cubano and Latino music playing, but it didn't seem nearly as loud as the original location. You could actually have a conversation, but still hear the music in the background. They're currently running a small menu (4 or 5 appetizers, 5 or 6 entrees), but I was told the regular (and much larger) menu will be rolled out in a couple of weeks. New menu looked fabulous - I'll definitely be back to give it a whirl.

In the meantime, the mojitos and tostones are still grand.

Oh, and be warned: prices are higher at the new location - to help pay the higher rent, I imagine...

Farewell...another restaurant is going out of business on Saturday night (August 30th) - Nikko at the Westin Seattle.

I'm surprised, but I think this is a testament to how much good sushi is now available in town at relatively modest prices. I used to go to Nikko from time to time before I found Nishino, but then never went back. I still think it is one of the coolest restaurant interiors in town.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

I found out today. I do marketing for a small Japanese restaurant/sushi bar in Gig Harbor (Bistro Satsuma & Sushi Bar). Chef Tak Suetsugu and his wife Minae were the chef and co-owners of Nikko from 1997-2002 (before moving down south to Pierce County). Minae told me today. As you can imagine, the news was heartbreaking for her and for Chef Tak (who created the current kaiseki dinner still featured at Nikko). I couldn't believe it...so I called the restaurant and the hostess confirmed it. They have reservations available tonight, tomorrow nite and Saturday as well.

Re: Roy's. The Outback Steakhouse people (deep pockets) have a stake in Roy's so you probably won't see that restaurant closing anytime soon. :rolleyes:

If anyone wants info on the restaurant scene in Gig Harbor, let me know. There are two restaurants here that are probably among the top 10 in the state.

Edited by Kimo (log)

Farewell...another restaurant is going out of business on Saturday night (August 30th) - Nikko at the Westin Seattle.

I'm shocked to hear this, I just had dinner there last night! We were celebrating a birthday and had reserved a tatami room. I came in to work and complained all morning to a co-worker about the lousy service we had and how they were out of everything. I also commented on how strange it was to see the bar empty all night. No patrons, no bartender, nothing. It all makes more sense now.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

• 3 weeks later...

Driving into work today, I noticed that the Adobo Taco Lounge on Madison appears to be no more. Never ate there myself, but heard from a number of people that the food could be pretty wretched.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

• 2 weeks later...

I just called the Library Bistro. Veddy interesting. They're discontinuing dinner and will be serving only breakfast and lunch. They will do dinners for private parties in the dining room.

I'm sad to hear about the Belltown Pub. That's a beautiful space.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I saw Matt Costello's name attached to Inn at Langley in the paper this week...thought that was a typo. Anyone know? He was the chef for Library Bistro.

Union is steaming ahead with construction, finally. I look in as I walk by. I'd guess they are 2 months away, at least.

I just called the Library Bistro.  Veddy interesting.  They're discontinuing dinner and will be serving only breakfast and lunch.  They will do dinners for private parties in the dining room.

I hadn't heard very good things about the LB; its sad to me that they couldn't have found a way to build on the Painted Table legacy.

Interesting, LB didn't even make it a year. I only at there once and it was awful. To be fair it was on Thanksgiving and they had been only open three weeks. But after having many lovely meals at The Painted Table, it was a big disappointment.

Practice Random Acts of Toasting

Union is steaming ahead with construction, finally. I look in as I walk by. I'd guess they are 2 months away, at least.

Yeow - they are busting butt there - hanging art today, arranging furniture and washing windows. People in cheffies in the kitchen. Maybe they are opening this week?

Yeow - they are busting butt there - hanging art today, arranging furniture and washing windows. People in cheffies in the kitchen. Maybe they are opening this week?

The opening party is tomorrow (Tuesday) at 6 p.m. It's a benefit dinner, so not sure if it's open to the public. If someone stops by there this week, please report back! I don't know much about Ethan Stowell (owner/chef) and would love to hear about the food!

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

The opening party is tomorrow (Tuesday) at 6 p.m. It's a benefit dinner, so not sure if it's open to the public. If someone stops by there this week, please report back! I don't know much about Ethan Stowell (owner/chef) and would love to hear about the food!

Does anyone have the 411 on what this place is all about? Seems like the coming soon signs have been up for awhile so its good that they're making it happen. I wish them the best because that space has been cursed....

There was a report in the paper not too long ago...which one? My recall is that the Owner is the son of the ballet Stowells. He has hired an old name, modernist architect, Gordon Walker - you can see it in the details - and is planning to use fine china, silver and glassware to serve fine cuisine, but will also encourage casual bites. (Sounds a bit like what Cascadia has evolved to?) But I don't recall that had he has chef experience. I think he is/has hired that. He's got the connections and energy.

Oh, here it is:

half way down

There was a report in the paper not too long ago...which one? My recall is that the Owner is the son of the ballet Stowells. He has hired an old name, modernist architect, Gordon Walker - you can see it in the details - and is planning to use fine china, silver and glassware to serve fine cuisine, but will also encourage casual bites. (Sounds a bit like what Cascadia has evolved to?) But I don't recall that had he has chef experience. I think he is/has hired that. He's got the connections and energy.

Oh, here it is:

half way down

Thanks for the info Tsquare! I'm going to follow your link to the Time article now... from what I've read, he's got the title of owner AND Exec Chef... of course this could mean he designed the menu, but isn't executing it. I'm curious to know what kind of food background he has. Not that you necessarily have to have a culinary pedigree to open a great restaurant, of course!

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

Too funny - there is a new bar on 2nd near Battery, named The Viceroy. Too cool for words. To comply with requirements to have food available, they have goldfish crackers on the bar, and "sell" Hungry Man frozen dinners for $25 each!!!

Culled from elsewhere:

Patty's Eggnest in Wallingford is closing, to be replaced by the Sea Monster Lounge. That is the coolest name I've heard in ages!! I can't wait 'til it opens!

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Bandol, from Jef Fike of Cassis fame, will be opening in the Smith Tower mid-month, but their web site is up now. The menu sounds spectacular.

"Baked Eggs - White beans, roasted red peppers, garlic, olive oil, and morcilla (house made Spanish blood sausage with onions and cayenne) are placed in a baking dish, topped with an organic egg and heated in the oven. This dish evolved as part of the peasant cooking in Spain, and uses flavors native to the dry, hot southern half of the country."

Full disclosure: I found out about the site from a PR mailing.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May