• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Help me like lamb liver....

Sony

Hi everyone!

There's not much that I make at home that I find truly disastrous, but maybe I've finally met my match.....

Pick up a 1 # package at the farmers' market. I love lamb. I love liver. The lamb liver, not surprisingly, tastes of both. However, it seems like the 2 strong flavors together might be too much for me.

I took a few pieces and prepared it simply....dusted in seasoned flour, seared, quick pan sauce with wine, chicken stock, thyme and a tiny bit of chopped garlic. The liver was slightly pink in the center still, though the texture was a little tougher than I'm used to.

Help me rescue the remaining liver from exile in my freezer. Suggestions for spicing or cooking method, please?

Soaking it in milk for a while first helps the texture and strong flavour.

Bacon with it is oligatory in my house.

Happy Feasting

Janet (a.k.a The Old Foodie)

My Blog "The Old Foodie" gives you a short food history story each weekday day, always with a historic recipe, and sometimes a historic menu.

My email address is: theoldfoodie@fastmail.fm

Anything is bearable if you can make a story out of it. N. Scott Momaday

Wish I could help but I've made an honest effort over many years to teach myself to like liver from various critters prepared in various ways including the so-called gourmet items and it just isn't going to happen for me. I've become pretty sure it's one of those things that isn't mental, I genuinely don't like it.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Oh my...I don't know if I'm ready to eat it raw, but it would take care of the texture issue, no?

Next round, cooked over a really hot flame after a soak in milk so the inside is not cooked too far. Will also hang onto the idea of serving with mint and onion. Thanks- there may be hope after all :wink: !