• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Italian Meringue question

CanadianBakin'

Do you always torch Italian meringue or can you use it much like a 7-minute frosting? I made some great cupcakes this past weekend, vanilla filled with PH's lemon cream and chocolate filled with one of PH's ganaches, and I topped them with Italian meringue which turned out to be a good compliment to both. I torched them all because I thought, "that's just what you do". When I do them again it would be nice to have them look different so I'd like to leave the chocolate ones not torched. Will they hold up as well?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

No, you don't need to torch Italian meringue. Are you thinking of baked alaska being torched? Or as a topping for lemon meringue pie or the like?

I use Italian meringue often to frost cakes and cupcakes; I never torch it. I can't recall anywhere hearing that it should be torched.

Good luck with your baking!

Eileen

Eileen Talanian

HowThe Cookie Crumbles.com

HomemadeGourmetMarshmallows.com

As for butter versus margarine, I trust cows more than chemists. ~Joan Gussow

No, you don't need to torch Italian meringue. Are you thinking of baked alaska being torched? Or as a topping for lemon meringue pie or the like?

I use Italian meringue often to frost cakes and cupcakes; I never torch it. I can't recall anywhere hearing that it should be torched.

Good luck with your baking!

Eileen

Thanks Eileen! Yes, I torched it for a lemon meringue effect.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Do you always torch Italian meringue or can you use it much like a 7-minute frosting? I made some great cupcakes this past weekend, vanilla filled with PH's lemon cream and chocolate filled with one of PH's ganaches, and I topped them with Italian meringue which turned out to be a good compliment to both. I torched them all because I thought, "that's just what you do". When I do them again it would be nice to have them look different so I'd like to leave the chocolate ones not torched. Will they hold up as well?

You can optionally torch Italian meringue. In one of his books, PH has a pistachio mousseline cream/strawberry cake with genoise covered with Italian meringue. He torches the Italian meringue.