• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Red Bull and Taurine in Paris

fresh_a

A pretty in the know friend of mine told me yesterday that the newly authorized Red Bull energy drink in France contains no taurine. For those of you who didn't know, Red Bull has been banned in France for years because the French government didn't authorize the active ingredient. A few weeks ago (with much fanfare and many Red Bull minis distributing free cans on the street) it was allowed to be sold. My friend apparently spoke with the head distributor for France at the Rungis market.... I'm not sure this is true (doesn't really matter, I can still get English, Austrian and Lithuanian RB at the local Indian market..) , but could anyone enlighten me?

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog

Guess that answers my question!

Does anyone know if argenine and taurine have the same effects?

Edited by fresh_a (log)

Anti-alcoholics are unfortunates in the grip of water, that terrible poison, so corrosive that out of all substances it has been chosen for washing and scouring, and a drop of water added to a clear liquid like Absinthe, muddles it." ALFRED JARRY

blog