• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[DFW] House-made cured meats in Dallas restaurants

jsmeeker

Texans love their meat. Dallas loves the steakhouse. Will cured meats be the next big thing? An article in the Dallas Morning News investigates.

First came the surge of interest in wine, followed by crusty breads made with natural starters and then tangy specialty cheeses.

Next in line as America's trendiest, artisan-crafted food with European roots? Cured meats, particularly those made in the various styles of Italy.

I love cured meats. I'd like to see it become more available not only in restaurants, but also at a retail level. Where are my fellow Dallas eGullet society members getting their cured meat fix?

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

I'm originally from New Jersey, I've lived in Texas for 30+ years so I'm hoping this will indeed have an effect on retail markets. I will note that Antone's Imports does carry Mortadella and other Italian cured meats.

Thanks, Jeff. The article mentions the house cured meats at Nonna, Charlie Parker's and Lola. Has anyone eaten house-cured meats at these restaurants, or any others in the area?

It is fairly easy to find some imported cured meats, from Italy and Spain, in area stores. Central Market (great prosciutto selection) , the Deli at Segel's on Inwood at Beltline (serious Italian Mortadella) , Whole Foods, and even some at the mainline groceries. But no major retail for locally made products, as far as I know.

In additon to the finer dining establishments, you can find house-cured meats in some "ethnic" restaurants. The Columbian restaurant at Beltline & Josey (northeast corner) makes their own Columbian style chorizo and blood sausage. At that same intersection, on the south east corner, the Bhan Mi shop has absolutely terrific beef jerky for take-out.

Anyone have others to recommend?