• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Culinary Cliches

There are certain dishes or ingredients that cause me to cringe whenever I see them on a restaurant menu. Foods that are so over-used and rarely done well. Things like creme brulee, balsamic vinegar, Caesar salad, and molten chocolate cake. Not to say that these dishes/ingredients should never be served, but if you're going to, time should be taken to do it well.

What other culinary cliches make you cringe?

Edit: How could I forget garlic mashed potatoes?

Edited by BradNelson (log)

I was at a concert at Kansas City's new downtown arena, and the concession stand had "parmesan garlic fries" on the menu. That was a waste of $7, and falls squarely in the culinary cliche category.

"Nothing you could cook will ever be as good as the $2.99 all-you-can-eat pizza buffet." - my EX (wonder why he's an ex?)

My eGfoodblog: My corner of the Midwest

There are certain dishes or ingredients that cause me to cringe whenever I see them on a restaurant menu. Foods that are so over-used and rarely done well. Things like creme brulee, balsamic vinegar, Caesar salad, and molten chocolate cake. Not to say that these dishes/ingredients should never be served, but if you're going to, time should be taken to do it well.

Creme brulee, Caesar salad, and molten chocolate cakes are in a group of dishes I call "better at home". The versions I've made/had at home are light-years beyond the vast majority of versions I've been served at restaurants.

The only great Caesar salads I've been served are my husband's made at home, and a made-to-order old-school tableside version at Delmonico's in Vegas.

The only great molten cake I've had was made at home (from scratch, not a frozen food miracle of technology).

The only great creme brulee... again, made at home.

Notice the pattern... you're in an environment where the cook is taking the time, labor and $$$ to use good ingredients and make it right (or you're forking over major moolah for the rare restaurant that bothers to take the time and money to do it right.) And particularly with desserts, it seems there's a race to the bottom regarding quality. :hmmm:

Edited: I can now add French Onion Soup au Gratin to the list, thanks to Tony Bourdain's Les Halles Cookbook!

Edited by LVic (log)

Is it just me, or are these clichés more prevalent on the dessert menu? Is this because most restaurants don't have pastry chefs and don't put enough thought into dessert?

I definitely think so... dessert has become a high-profit item, since it's been outsourced to Sysco and other factories producing frozen pastries, custards, cobblers, etc. Problem is, dessert is rarely at its best when brought out chilled (we've all had the frosty-on-the-bottom, broiled-on-top creme brulee with the taste & consistency of Kozy Shack "flan".)

Even ice cream is better a little warm & soft, so you can imagine how much better a bowl of chocolate mousse left to come to room temp can be, compared to the bowl left in the fridge till service.