• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sant Pau vs Can Roca

I'll be in Catalunia in May, and may have time for a good lunch. Ignoring reservations, etc., Sant Pau is 50KM off my way (in regards to Can Roca's Girona), meaning a total of 100KM addition to my trip.

Considering this (but not too much :rolleyes: ), can anyone who has had a recent experience in both Sant Pau and Celler de Can Roca comment on which may be worthier to go?

I thank you in advance.

Marcos

Just trying to eat some good food and learn in the process with all the well versed foodies here. Please don't hold me too accountable for my so personal opinions! :)

I went to both in February and both were very good. I have eaten at both several times before.

It is a difficult choice and it depends on your preferences. "Can Roca" is a more edgy type of culinary experience. "Sant Pau" is just excellent, a little more traditional, but also whimsical. If you are interested in Catalan cuisine, "Sant Pau" plays with traditional Catalan ingredients and recipes and twists them to dazzling results.

Lenski knows of what he speaks. they are both great restaurants. I would suggest, if you could only try one, to go to the one that is more convenient for you.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for both your replies.

Would it be too much of a stretch to say that Can Roca tends more towards El Bulli and Sant Pau more to Can Fabes?

I ask this because I will be going to El Bulli in the same trip and from Lenski's comments it seemed to me that Sant Pau would be a more complimentary experience and Can Roca might be in a closer arena drawing unwanted comparisons. Or is this complete nonsense?

Just trying to eat some good food and learn in the process with all the well versed foodies here. Please don't hold me too accountable for my so personal opinions! :)

Thanks for both your replies.

Would it be too much of a stretch to say that Can Roca tends more towards El Bulli and Sant Pau more to Can Fabes?

I ask this because I will be going to El Bulli in the same trip and from Lenski's comments it seemed to me that Sant Pau would be a more complimentary experience and Can Roca might be in a closer arena drawing unwanted comparisons. Or is this complete nonsense?

That is a a stretch. Certainly the Rocas are closely aligned with Adria, but their restaurant is very different from elBulli. While Sant Pau may be more like Can Fabes than Can Roca is, I believe that difference is negligible as Sant Pau really is nothing like Can Fabes. All of these are great restaurants and all are really unique displaying the personalities of their major players. I wouldn't recommend over-analyzing them. Go to the one that most intrigues you. If that is Can Fabes, you should go there. If CR or SP, then do that one, especially if you can't do a number of them.

Edited by docsconz (log)

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Sounds like pretty good advice.

I've been to both Can Fabes and Santceloni. That's why I am not considering the former for this trip.

Since on my last trip to the area I had a reservation at Sant Pau that I had cancel perhaps I will try this first.

Thanks.

Let's put it this way. Having dined several times at the usual suspects in Spain, including elBulli, if I had to make the choice of having a last meal in Spain, probably Can Roca will be the chosen place. And I know I wouldn't be the only one.

Sant Pau, on the other hand, would rank quite, quite low on that list: pristine products, great execution, little emotion.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

Let's put it this way. Having dined several times at the usual suspects in Spain, including elBulli, if I had to make the choice of having a last meal in Spain, probably Can Roca will be the chosen place. And I know I wouldn't be the only one.

Sant Pau, on the other hand, would rank quite, quite low on that list: pristine products, great execution, little emotion.

There is no question that the Rocas are higher in the technoemotional pantheon than Ruscalleda, but Sant pau is no slouch. I haven't been to the new Can Roca space yet, but the space at Sant Pau is much more attractive than the old Can Roca. FWIW, I have had the best composed cheese course in my experience at Sant Pau.

I am not really pushing for one over the other, just trying to be objective and lay out the details so that you can decide based on your preferences and situation, mbernstein. If I was already going to be in Gerona and Sant Pau was otherwise out of my way, there is no question but that I would choose Can Roca. if the situation were reversed, I would choose Sant Pau between the two.

Twitter - @docsconz

I am not really pushing for one over the other, just trying to be objective and lay out the details so that you can decide based on your preferences and situation, mbernstein. If I was already going to be in Gerona and Sant Pau was otherwise out of my way, there is no question but that I would choose Can Roca. if the situation were reversed, I would choose Sant Pau between the two.

I wouldn't. I would choose CR hands down over Sant Pau.

The new space at CR is not comparable to Ruscalleda's place, as they are completely different style-wise, but it is quite beautiful. The architecture reminds me of Bras in Laguiole, except that the setting is in the outskirts of Girona, so not comparable to the hills of the Aveyron. :biggrin:

Yet I'm not sure architecture really should be a variable I take into account when deciding one over the other, or any restaurant for that matter. If that were the case, docsconz, should I make a list of places in Spain one would never go back to? Let's start with Rafa's, for instance.

I think Joan Roca's food is much more interesting. While you might not like a few of the dishes you get in a tasting menu at Can Roca, there are on the other side several dishes that will be excellent, really blowing you away. There are dishes I remember having at CR over the years that I wouldn't mind eating every night for the next couple of years.

On the other side, as Pedro said, Ruscalleda's dishes are technically perfect, with pristine ingredients and perfect execution. Yet for the love of me, I can't remember most of them, and there's not one I can consider to be in the top five memorable dishes I've had.

A better question, in my opinion, would be between Can Roca and Can Fabes. The difference in styles and the amazing quality of Santi Santamaria's food would make it hard to decide. And driving to Can Fabes or Sant Pau is a 10 minute difference. Then again, what stops me from doing both? :biggrin:

Edited by Silly Disciple (log)

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

We did CR/CF/EB and many Barcelona places last year and I would say Can Fabes was spot on in every aspect and I would go back without question. This left me with a terroir feeling its best.

Can Roca was very good, many dishes to smile at, with many things being molecularized but not overly so. However, it did not sing Catalonia to me like Can Fabes did.

Great discussion. Thanks. I'm following it closely.

I agree that Can Fabes is great. But I don't go that often to the area to repeat restaurants. Also, when I went there it was not only a wonderful dinner, but the climax of a perfect day with my wife. I don't want to risk ruining this memory going there alone in the middle of a fast trip etc. That's why it will not be a consideration. But thanks for the comments.

Hi Mbernstein,

as you've probably noticed, there is a LOT of info and photos on both restaurants in the Spain and Portugal forum, but just to add to the mix I thought I would give you the link to a report on my dinner at Can Roca, which I loved. It was back in 06, so surely the menu has changed since then, but it gives you an idea of how different it is from all other restaurants mentioned, including El Bulli.

Can Roca report with photos

Alexandra Forbes

Brazilian food and travel writer, @aleforbes on Twitter

Official Website

Yes, I've been browsing through these restaurants posts, but not many recent reports. Since then Can Roca has moved etc. That's why I started the post.

I've read your review, Alexandra. Looks tasty. It helped. Obrigado.

I guess I'm gonna try Can Roca first, as even a big fan of Sant Pau like docsconz pondered that if Can Roca was on his way, he would go for it. Makes sense. I am also more to the edgy stuff these days... And I have to pick one after all.

Thanks to all.

• 1 month later...

Once again I would like to thank everyone on this topic.

I ate at Can Roca last Wednesday. It was a wonderful night. Some outstanding dishes (to my taste, of course), great service. I was enjoying as much as to ask for another dish outside the big degustation menu. And it was not because I was hungry. Just out of gluttony.

And if you compare to similar quality restaurants, I wouldn't say it was a bargain, but it was a quite nice price indeed. Last year I ate at similar priced restaurants in Italy that couldn't compare to this.